It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Local promoter retained by De La Hoya's company

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Sacramento Bee - November 28, 2003

In a move that could benefit Sacramento's boxing future, longtime promoter Don Chargin has been given a five-year contract extension as an adviser and matchmaker for Oscar De La Hoya's expanding Golden Boy Promotions.

Chargin, who is putting on tonight's card at the Radisson Hotel featuring undefeated Sacramento middleweight Eric Regan, began assisting De La Hoya last year. A six-time world champion, De La Hoya has talked of becoming the sport's next major promoter, rivaling Don King and Bob Arum.

Golden Boy Promotions, which already has produced 42 cards this year, including several HBO Latino, ESPN and Univision telecasts, intends to add sites in California. San Jose, Bakersfield, Los Angeles, San Diego and Fresno have been used as venues, and Sacramento is being explored as a location for shows next year.

"The talks in Sacramento are still in the preliminary stages," Chargin said, "but with Oscar's stature and connections in boxing, his company has been able to sign up a lot of Latino fighters, contenders and world champions. And he wants to expand both his stable of fighters and shows throughout the country, including several California cities."

Fighters who have agreed to fight under the Golden Boy banner include No. 1 World Boxing Council lightweight contender Juan Lazcano of Sacramento, WBC super-bantamweight champion Oscar Larios of Mexico and new International Boxing Federation lightweight champion Javier Jauregui of Mexico, who along with Larios have fought previously in Sacramento.

Regan (22-0, 15 knockouts) will be defending his International Boxing Association Continental title against Pedro Ortega (29-12-1, 18 KOs) of Mexico in the 12-round main event. Five undercard bouts, beginning at 6 p.m., are planned.

Other Sacramento fighters on the card are featherweight Valanna McGee (3-2), welterweight Anthony Charnell (2-1-1) and lightweight Tony Armenta (0-1).

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 12:06 PM
link   
i thought taht De La HOya was going to retire from the boxing ring because he lost to MOsley i do believe it was

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by freak29
i thought taht De La HOya was going to retire from the boxing ring because he lost to MOsley i do believe it was

I dont think he's retiring. I know there will be a rematch between him and Mosley in the near future.

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:53 AM
link   
There definatly needs to be a rematch it was farcical he won the fight,the judges were crooked it sucked.!

Sir

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I didn't actually see the fight but i read the reports and by all accounts it seems a bit of a dodgy decision,they should fight again for sure.

new topics

top topics

join