It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Breaking news-Marco Antonio Barrera

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The future of the best featherweight on the planet is open to question after the extraordinary revelations this week that Marco Antonio Barrera underwent brain surgery six years ago and has been fighting with a metal plate in his head ever since.

The story, unearthed by acclaimed boxing writer Thomas Hauser for secondsout.com, has grave implications for the Mexican fighter's future.

The plate in Barrera's head makes it difficult - and some suggest impossible - for him to take, let alone pass, an MRI scan, which is now a mandatory requirement in major boxing venues such as Las Vegas, New York and indeed Britain.

Barrera's next fight is scheduled against Manny Pacquiao in San Antonio, Texas next month. Coincidentally or otherwise, Texas does not require mandatory MRI scans for the fighters it licences.

Barrera's problem exposes more unashamed greed and rule-dodging in a sport where a boxer's life appears of secondary importance to the lure of the almighty dollar.

Hauser reported that Barrera underwent surgery known as a craniotomy following a bout with Junior Jones. The surgery was related to a congenital defect, not as a result of the fight itself.

A number of powerful high-profile promoters and managers vociferously objected to the implementation of the requirement which is designed to save lives.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Somehow this pice of news doesnt really matter much now after Barrera got his a$$ totally destroyed by Pacuiqao a couple of weeks ago. Barrera is done in the ring. He should retire.

TRD

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Well i posted it nearly a month ago lol

But he does look finished i think he should retire also.He was a great fighter its a shame to go out like he has(thats if he does retire).

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Well i posted it nearly a month ago lol

But he does look finished i think he should retire also.He was a great fighter its a shame to go out like he has(thats if he does retire).

I think he will retire. He got comepletely outclassed by Pacquiao. Although I wouldnt mind him taking a rematch. Lets see what happens.

new topics

top topics

join