It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Boxing: Gomez causes major upset!

page: 1

log in


posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 04:24 AM
Manchester's Michael Gomez caused a major upset at Edinburgh's Meadowbank Stadium by snatching the British super-featherweight crown from the grasp of home town hero Alex Arthur with a sensational fifth-round stoppage.

The undefeated Scot was making the third defence of his crown and was looking to win the Lonsdale Belt outright in front of his own passionate fans.

The 25-year-old WBA international king made a big stride towards his big world title dream with the eight-round demolition of Glasgow Willie Limond in July.

But despite his confidence he knew this would be a bigger test against the former WBU world challenger, British super-featherweight champion and Lonsdale Belt owner - cheered on by his good friend Ricky Hatton at ringside and in his corner.

It was make or break for the 26-year-old, who threatened to retire from boxing if he failed to win and that desire showed.

He made a blistering start and rocked Arthur with a solid left, but the Scot fought back with a wry smile and range of good punches to finish strongly before the first bell.

The busier Arthur soon got the jab going in the second and he threw Gomez's head back with a stinging left and right combination.

The all-action challenger battled back with a flurry of his own punches in the third round which appeared to cut Arthur on the nose and eye and he was relieved to hear the bell ring after taking a brutal bombardment.

Arthur had fallen into Gomez's gameplan in the next round entering an all-out bloody war with Gomez also bleeding on his right eye, but the Mancunian again rocked the champion with another chilling right to the chin before the bell again saved the Scot.

But he was not so lucky in the fifth, amazingly after he had retaliated by hitting his opponent with a number of punches throughout which the Mancunian somehow stayed on his feet.

Gomez, however, charged on and got through with a stunning right to the chin to leave Arthur needing a count of eight.

His legs were unsteady and although he made the next count of eight it was delaying the inevitable as the referee stepped in to stop the champion taking any more punishment.

new topics

log in