posted on Jul, 26 2003 @ 04:43 AM
Associated Press - July 23, 2003
LOS ANGELES - Vitali Klitschko, severely cut around his left eye during his heavyweight title fight against Lennox Lewis last month, has been cleared
to return to the ring.
Klitschko, who turned 32 Saturday, was examined by Dr. Volker Steinkraus in Hamburg, Germany.
Steinkraus said Klitschko's cuts "have healed very well and quickly" and there is no scarring.
"He can begin training now and can fight again as soon as he wants," Steinkraus said Monday.
Klitschko said he looks forward to fighting Lewis again.
"I am ready for the rematch that boxing fans all over the world want to see, and I hope Lennox is, too," Klitschko said.
Lewis retained his WBC and IBO heavyweight titles June 21 at Staples Center by cutting Klitschko badly around the left eye and forcing the fight to be
stopped in the sixth round. When the 12-round bout was stopped, Klitschko was leading 58-56 on each of the three judges' scorecards.