It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Boxing: Confident Klitschko Challenges Lewis to Rematch for Heavyweight Title

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Associated Press - June 29, 2003

By ANNA MELNICHUK Associated Press Writer

KIEV, Ukraine (AP) - Vitali Klitschko, his face mostly healed after the pounding he took from Lennox Lewis a week ago, pushed again for a rematch against the WBC heavyweight champion Sunday.

Klitschko was leading on points from all three judges when his title bout with Lewis in Los Angeles was stopped by the ring doctor in the sixth round because of a deep cut over his left eye.

``I could see very well, and didn't know why the doctor stopped the fight,'' Klitschko complained at a news conference in the capital of his native Ukraine. ``I will do my best to have a rematch against Lewis to cross all the T's.''

A slight bruise, covered by makeup, was the only visible evidence of Lewis' hammering. A doctor removed 60 stitches from around Klitschko's eye four days after the bout, and said he was healing quickly and would be fit to fight in three months.

Klitschko claimed that Lewis has expressed willingness for a rematch and he expects to hear from him within two weeks.

He suggested Lewis should fight him as soon as possible because ``he's getting older and heavier, his jerks and reaction getting slower, and every day works against him.''

``Lewis has overestimated himself, and undervalued me,'' Klitschko stressed. ``I was 100-percent ready for the fight, and I proved I'm not weaker than he is.''

Although Klitschko lost, he won over a lot of boxing fans and legitimized his claim to be a top heavyweight contender.

Klitschko was the first heavyweight from the former Soviet Union to fight for the WBC title.

TRD

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Well i dont think this fight will go ahead as it will take at least 6 months for his face to heal,by that time Lewis will have most probably have organized to fight Jones and would be getting about 50 million for it aswell....

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I think Lewis will take 1 more HUGE payday fight and retire. I for one want to see the Roy Jones fight happen.

new topics

join