It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Boxing: Holyfield to Battle Toney in October

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Associated Press - June 24, 2003

NEW YORK - Unable to arrange a fight with WBA heavyweight champion Roy Jones Jr., four time heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield has agreed to an Oct. 4 date against IBF cruiserweight champion James Toney.

"Several cities are interested in the fight and we are talking to them," promoter Dan Goossen said Tuesday.

Holyfield, 40, is determined to win back all three heavyweight belts, but when terms couldn't be arranged for a fight with Jones he decided to take on Toney.

Holyfield resisted demands of promoter Don King for future fights. King owns promotional rights to Jones' first events of the WBA crown.

"They tried to take advantage of me and I won't let anybody do that," Holyfield said at Tuesday's news conference. "They tried to tie me into a long-term contract and I won't do that."

TRD

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Hmm this will be interesting,Toney was impressive in his fight recently and i think he has the power and ability to deal with Holyfield,but who knows if Holyfield still retains some of the stuff he had a few years back it will be a good fight...

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 08:43 PM
link   
This will definately be a good fight. But I think Toney has the advantage here. He was very impressive in his last fight. Still you cant count Holyfield out.

join