It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Foreman coming back at age 55?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 11:51 AM
link   
A boxing comeback as a 50-something? George Foreman has some limitations for it, but apparently he's all game.

The former two-time heavyweight champion told the New York Post in a story published Wednesday that a Vitali Klitschko upset of Lennox Lewis on Saturday in Los Angeles would intensity his focus to fight again.

"I'm very serious" about coming back, said Foreman, who will call the Klitschko-Lewis bout for HBO. "I've been serious about this all along."

Foreman will turn 55 in January. He last fought in November 1997, when he lost to Shannon Briggs, and told the Post he does not want to fight current champion Lewis or Mike Tyson.

He said he works out all the time in Kingwood, Texas, a suburb of Houston, but doesn't spar. Foreman said that he must drop down to, for him, a miniscule 225 pounds to at least be competitive in the ring. Foreman said he is "a lot over that" weight at this time.

Foreman told the Post he wants to take advantage of an inexperienced fighter to win the title for the third time, which is why he wouldn't fight Lewis, he said. Foreman The Commentator gives Klitschko a chance against Lewis.

"[Lewis is] too big," Foreman said. "He's experienced and he has the reach. ... Get Lennox Lewis out of the business, I could come back tomorrow."

He said he doesn't want to fight Tyson for other reasons.

"I wouldn't even feel right fighting Mike Tyson," Foreman said. "Too many guys look like they decide if they want to get famous just go hurt Mike Tyson. For the first time, when Lennox Lewis fought Mike Tyson, I said, 'Why is that big guy beating on Mike Tyson like that? Why doesn't he finish him off?' I felt sorry for Tyson."

Foreman has a career record of 76-5 with 68 KOs and has made far more money outside the ring than he did in it by pitching his fat-cutting grill across the country.

espn.go.com...

TRD

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Hey he should stick to selling his George Foreman Mini Grill..LOL

Yep i heard this about 3-4 months ago on a chat show in england..He said he wanted to be the first boxer to hold a Belt in his 20's 30's 40's and 50's or something like that....I cant remember exactly but i think he should forget it and stay retired...!!

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 05:03 AM
link   
The Foreman Grill rocks!

Sad thing is, with some fo the dross around in the Heavyweight scene he has a good chance of taking the lesser known fighters. Keep away from the ring George.

join