It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: LEWIS v ROY JONES.

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Lennox Lewis, who faces Vitali Klitschko in Los Angeles on Saturday, completed a dramatic U-turn and challenged Roy Jones Jnr to get in the ring with him.

The 37-year-old WBC and IBO world heavyweight champion has been angered by Jones' comments that both he and Evander Holyfield are better boxers than Lewis.

In March, Jones stepped up from middleweight to beat fellow American John Ruiz for the WBA crown and said afterwards: "Lennox is definitely the best of the heavyweights."

Lewis also played down the chances of a bout with Jones at the time, saying: "I don't think he would fight me at this point. What for really?"

But Jones has now claimed he is a better fighter than Lewis - a statement which drew a fierce response from the Brit.

"Jones believes he's the best heavyweight on the planet right now," said Lewis.

"He did a rating system and put himself first, Holyfield second and me third.

"But if he wants to be a real heavyweight, he should come and fight me. I'm the king."

Lewis faces Klitschko at the weekend in a bout lined up after Kirk Johnson withdrew with a torn chest muscle.

And Lewis was in his usual super-confident mood when asked how he would respond to Klitschko's claim he will knock him out.

"That's easy," he told BBC Radio 5 Live. "How many people has he knocked out compared to how many I've knocked out? Lennox Lewis will be victorious.

"We're going to give the people in Los Angeles what they want - a great fight.

"I thought it was a good opportunity for me to make a fight and a lot of people don't know Johnson as much as they know Klitschko.

"We decided this was the best move forward. I didn't want to wait for November as I wanted to take advantage of being in a training camp."

I just heard this on the radio...well lets hope it happens....!!!

:bounce:

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Wow Lewis vs. Jones for the WBC, IBO, WBA World Heavyweight Championship!! Now thats fight is a must see!! Assuming Lewis beats Vitali.

TRD

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Yep i couldnt believe it Lewis has thrown down the gaunlet to Jones...Lets hope he beats Vitali because the Jones v Lewis will be a cracker...!

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Jones has to take this fight with Lewis.... if not he looks like a wuss!! Do you think Jones has a chance in beating Lewis? I think he could to tell you the truth.

TRD

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Yep your right he has to take the fight or it would seem like he is ducking him...

As for would he have a chance well you just dont know...Lewis will do him for size and power,but Jones is so quick and has a decent punch himself..It would be a hard fight but Lewis might just edge it possibly...In other words i havnt a clue who would win...lol...

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 07:21 AM
link   
There is no doubt, Lewis will beat Vitali! Roy Jones - Lewis, hmmm. For me Jones is the better boxer, but I just can't see him beating Lewis. Would love to see the fight though.

TRD

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Well it will be interesting to see what happens now,as Lewis beat Klitschko..

They may have a rematch but i would rather he fought Roy Jones....

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 05:33 PM
link   
lewis has massive reach on him but jones is sooo much faster...i do want to see a rematch of the last fight though, because lewis got off lucky

top topics

join