It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Johnsons Out..!!!

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Lennox Lewis has been left searching for a new opponent ahead of his proposed return to the ring on June 21 in Los Angeles.

Britain's world heavyweight champion was to have taken on Kirk Johnson at the Staples Center in his first bout since beating Mike Tyson just over a year ago.

However, the Canadian Johnson has been forced to pull out of the contest after suffering a torn chest muscle during a sparring session.

Promoter Gary Shaw admitted no decision has yet been made on whether the bill will still go ahead, telling www.fightnews.com: "I am sorry that Kirk Johnson was injured. At this time Team Lewis has not made any decision (to fight a new opponent or not)."

Man i wanted to see that fight...They are definatly getting a replacement for him but Lewis will end up fighting a bum again...Grrrrr

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 02:15 PM
link   
He was fighting a bum anyway.
I hear they are looking to promote Klitschko from the undercard to fight Lewis, could be an interesting replacement.

TRD

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeflonDon
He was fighting a bum anyway.
I hear they are looking to promote Klitschko from the undercard to fight Lewis, could be an interesting replacement.

Well he was one of the best bums out their to fight...

Theres no way they will promote Klitschko to fight lewis,as he has signed to fight him later in the year...

The american he is fighting is Cedric boswell he is unbeaten and they would have to pay compensation and the cancelation of the clash later in the year would cost enough aswell..

Their is one who has put himself up to fight Lewis and that is another US heavyweight, Jameel McCline...The former WBO title challenger is ranked number 12 in the world by the IBO, whose belt Lewis is due to defend, and would appear the best qualified potential foe available....

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 05:17 PM
link   
McCline is a no-mark he has lost to Wladimir Klitschko and spared with Lewis back in 2000 when he got knocked out with a straight right. He has improved as a fighter, no doubt, but he is not a good match up for Lewis. Still the show has to go on.

The Cedric Boswell/Vitali Klitschko will be the fight to watch on the bill anyway or the NABO featherweight championship fight between William Abelyan and Julio Gamboa.

TRD

posted on Jun, 10 2003 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Lennox Lewis has struck a compromise deal with Vitali Klitschko to keep his latest world heavyweight title defence in Los Angeles alive.

Lewis had few other options but to look towards the towering Ukrainian after his original opponent Kirk Johnson pulled out through injury last week.

Klitschko had been due to meet American Cedrick Boswell on the Staples Center undercard on June 21, with a view to fighting Lewis later this year.

Now officials have only two weeks to sell a fight which later in the year would have been a major pay-per-view event.

Lewis versus Johnson was not a paid-for fight and it is almost inconceivable that there would be enough time to market the Klitschko fight in such a short period of time.

As such Lewis will certainly have to settle for a smaller purse than he could have reasonably expected at a later date.

Klitschko, who will no doubt have been paid well to step up at such late notice, jumped at the chance to upgrade and challenge for Lewis' WBC and IBO titles.

Despite being the WBC's mandatory challenger Klitschko had found the champion hard to pin down since Lewis initially pulled out of a proposed meeting in January.

Well TeflonDon it seems they have got him to fight and stumped up the money...
But that is 2 different reports in 2 days so a confimation would be good from a reliable source..It would be a better fight and a harder one to call.!!!

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Told you! I'll wait for the official confirmation before saying too much.

Lewis will knock him out, he looks in fantastic shape and really wants this fight.

TRD

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Yep i think Lewis is in great shape and would be very hard to beat..Lewis will win by knockout..!!

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I agree I think Lewis will win this fight. I dont know if by KO but still I think he'll win it.

top topics

join