It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Boxing: De La Hoya's Only Focus Is Mosley

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Associated Press - May 21, 2003

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) - Oscar De La Hoya doesn't want to be an actor or singer anymore. He just wants to box, and his entire focus is on his rematch with Shane Mosley.

``This is the big one. This is for all the marbles,'' De La Hoya said Wednesday. ``I will definitely be hungrier than ever, more than what I was for (Fernando) Vargas, because the fact that Mosley beat me.''

De La Hoya has sought rematches with Mosley and Felix Trinidad, the only fighters to beat him. But Trinidad says he's retired, so De La Hoya is going after Mosley.

Mosley defeated De La Hoya in a 12-round decision in June 2000 in Los Angeles.

``He never hurt me,'' Mosley said, smiling. ``He hit me with a left hook and it didn't hurt.''

Their rematch for the super welterweight title is Sept. 13 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

``I took the fight because I need to get myself back on top,'' said Mosley, who will receive $4.5 million - the amount he got three years ago.

``He's probably going to make close to $20 (million).''

But outside the ring, there's no animosity between the two local fighters who have known each other for years. De La Hoya grew up in East Los Angeles, while Mosley is from suburban Pomona.

``I respect him and he's a good man,'' said Mosley, who knows his importance to De La Hoya now that Trinidad is out of the picture.

``I'm fortunate to get this opportunity. At the same token, Oscar is fortunate to be able to fight me again, so we're fortunate to have each other.''

Neither fighter knocked the other at a news conference, although De La Hoya's trainer, Floyd Mayweather Sr., took a few shots at Mosley by reciting an expletive-laced poem.

``He doesn't do the talking for me, but he gets under the skin of my opponents,'' De La Hoya said of Mayweather, clad in a pale pink suit. ``He might hurt his image, but not mine.''

Mosley and his father-trainer Jack laughed at Mayweather's rhymes. But Mosley gave Mayweather little credit for improving De La Hoya's fighting style.

``He's still the same De La Hoya to me, but there's some things he added to his technique,'' he said. ``I can do a lot of different things. I can attack, I can box, I can go side-to-side. I can really change my style up in the fight, whereas De La Hoya has to work on a certain style and implement that certain style. That's going to be the difference in the fight.''

De La Hoya said he's analyzed tape of the first bout ``forever and forever.''

``I should have used more jabs,'' he said. ``I wasn't in good shape. This time around it's a whole different story.''

After watching the tape an estimated 50 times, De La Hoya scored the first half in his favor and the second half for Mosley.

``I felt like the loser that night,'' he said. ``He didn't blow me away whatsoever. It was such a close fight. I thought it would have gone to me.''

Mosley used his speed to beat De La Hoya, who is working on using his right hand more.

``What I have to do to counter that is use a lot of jabs, like there is no tomorrow,'' De La Hoya said. ``Now I can put my punches together with my right hand.''

Since beating De La Hoya, Mosley has lost twice to Vernon Forrest and in February his fight with Raul Marquez was declared a no contest because Marquez was cut in head butts.

``It's not like I've been winning and this is going to be another fight,'' he said. ``I lost a couple of times and I'm hungry. I want to win and he wants to win, so it's going to be a terrific fight.''

De La Hoya retained his 154-pound title by beating Yory Boy Campas two weeks ago. He sprained his left hand in the bout, and began rehabilitation Wednesday.

``I would think in three weeks it's behind us,'' said Tony Daly, De La Hoya's physician. ``I don't anticipate any problems.''

Promoter Bob Arum said less than 2,400 of the 15,000 tickets remain available at a cost of $800 and $1,200.

posted on May, 22 2003 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Wow, can't wait for this one! Has the makings of a true classic.

posted on May, 22 2003 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Indeed. This fight should be awesome. I cant wait!!

new topics

join