It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: FRANK BRUNO on comeback trial.

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Apr, 13 2003 @ 04:29 PM
link   
This i must see Frank Bruno making a comeback wanting to fight Audley Harrison and saying he wil kick his A$$ all at the age of 41!!!

And the former fans' favourite claims he could knock out Sydney Olympic gold medallist Harrison inside three rounds.

"I want to lay down the gauntlet and challenge Audley to a fight that will bring excitement back to British boxing.

"I know I could beat Audley - and he knows that himself.

"Boxing at the Olympics and professional boxing are two different cups of tea.

"Audley has not got the bit between his teeth. I will knock him out, then pick him up, give him a cuddle and tell him 'That's cricket old bean!' I want to do it for the sake of boxing."

Bruno believes a purse of �10million could be raised for the fight, which he would like to stage at Upton Park, home of his beloved West Ham United Football Club (yeah my football Team)..

Go Frank....

TRD

posted on Apr, 14 2003 @ 04:58 PM
link   
What's all this with British boxers comming out of retirement another one now.

Herbie Hide

Herbie Hide will resume his boxing career in Nottingham on April 16.He is determined to re-establish himself on the heavyweight scene.Also he has joined the queue to fight former Olympic champion Audley Harrison.
Seems everyone has got something against Audley and want to kick his a$$

posted on Apr, 14 2003 @ 05:07 PM
link   
They dont seem to like Audley much.

TRD

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot
They dont seem to like Audley much.

Yes i know i mean Audley is not the greatest fighter in the world but he is getting better each fight,albiet he hasn't fought against any real quality yet.Sadly time is not on his side so he had better get a move on..
Bruno was one of my Fav British Boxers with a great character,as to him and Hide boxing again i just don't know!!!

TRD

posted on Apr, 16 2003 @ 04:53 PM
link   
On the news and in the papers today it seems that the only reason for Frank Bruno wanting to fight again is due to his divorce costing him 5 million pounds...

Typical....

TRD

posted on Apr, 16 2003 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Herbie Hide wins comeback fight.....

Herbie Hide taunted the Nottingham Arena crowd after sailing through his comeback fight on Wednesday night.

Hide was jeered by the local supporters during his seventh round stoppage win over Newcastle journeyman Derek McCafferty.

When will these guy's stop fighting bums
and get to the real action..

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 06:07 AM
link   
London, England. 14th April 2003. Frank Bruno has been told he has to earn the right to face Audley Harrison by proving he is a worthy challenger. Bruno wants a �10million comeback bout against Harrison at Upton Park. But Harrison's manager Colin McMillan believes Bruno will need warm-up fights before facing his man. "It is definitely a fight that would generate an awful lot of interest," said McMillan. "But first of all Bruno would have to have a couple of warm-up bouts to prove he is capable of fighting again at a high level. "Bruno is talking about a one-off but I don't think he would be able to walk straight back into a fight against someone of Audley's calibre. "George Foreman made his comeback at the same age as Frank but didn't go back in right at the top. "Instead he fought a string of guys before winning the world title again some three years later." McMillan believes Bruno's health may be a stumbling block, and said: "Don't forget, the reason Bruno retired after losing to Mike Tyson was because he had a detached retina. "That must also be proved to be cleared up - it's not a sensible move to come back and jeopardise your health."

Link

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 06:53 AM
link   

On the news and in the papers today it seems that the only reason for Frank Bruno wanting to fight again is due to his divorce costing him 5 million pounds...

5 Million pounds!!!!??!!??
Damm. That sucks for him.

TRD

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Ocelot that's women for ya!!

Deepwaters i know he stay's pretty fit but as it say's he will have to have a few rounds under his belt first,i mean Harrison isn't that great but i think Bruno would be a fool to fight him straight away as he could quite easily lose....

Not to sure about his eyes,do you think they would pass him fit and the detached retina's have just gone away? Would they allow him to fight and turn the other cheek because of the status of the fight?

I would like to see the fight as i always liked Bruno,also it would be nice to see Harrison get his butt kicked..

posted on May, 2 2003 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I honestly think Frank Bruno is looking for a pay day. If he were to make a come back, he'd have to re-establish himself by racking up some wins.

I'm no fan of Audley Harrison and have been waiting for him to face a really tough fighter. It seems like his opponents are hand picked and offer very little sport. He would be lucky to get by Samil Sam, but guys like James Toney, Roy Jones Jr. and Lennox Lewis would wipe the floor with him.

I saw a report about Herbie Hide. He seems fit and he's talking about knocking out both Danny Williams and Audley Harrison. His trainer sounded very confident also, we'll see what happens.

Even with Danny Williams nice flurry to stop the Austrailian fighter, he doesn't impress me. I would like to see him fight Samil Sam again, but doubt he could compete with the top heavies.

TRD

posted on May, 2 2003 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Yes you could be right as Bruno did say that he wan't just a one off fight with Harrison...

I posted earlier about Hide he won his first comeback fight and i don't think he will hang about he will go straight for them...I don't think he is good enough to beat the top heavyweights but the Aussie Guy can't remember his name i think he hold's the wbo belt could be beaten...

Williams must fight samil again(and beat him) if he is to get the respect and try to win a title

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 12:05 PM
link   
When you detach a retina it heals stronger than it was before, so I don't think the eye will cause a problem in Frank getting his license back. What concerns me is another fighter tarnishing his reputation for a pay day. Bruno had his moment and failed, don't get me wrong I like Frank but sadly he never quite lived up to what he could have been. What is perhaps even worse is that the heavyweight division is so poor if he could recapture some of the old magic we could have another world champ the wrong side of 40! I'd like to see the fight, it would then show if Audley can deliver the goods.

TRD

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Yes it would be good to see Frank come back but not just for one fight,it would be a shame if he is just after the money(which i think he is)..

I havn't made my mind up about Harrison i have seen all his fights and he hasn't impressed that much yet,maybe he will step up on the throttle when he fights a better quality fighter..We will have to wait and see!

With Frank he has already been world champion once and as you say TeflonDon there isn't that many great fighters about so it could be possible as he has nothing to lose except a bit of Pride....

TRD

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Former world heavyweight champion Frank Bruno has officially applied for the re-instatement of his British Boxing Board of Control licence.

The 41-year-old has not fought since losing to Mike Tyson for the second time in Las Vegas over seven years ago.

However, Bruno has recently been mooted as a possible future opponent for Olympic gold medallist Audley Harrison and this move would suggest that he is seriously considering that prospect.

Southern Area Council chief Robert Smith told www.secondsout.com: "We have received an application from Mr Bruno and we'll be dealing with his application just as we would with any other.

"But obviously, there are a few matters which we need to have cleared up before we go forward."

The most likely obstacle to Bruno boxing again would be past problems with retina damage.

Smith added: "I think you'd be living in cuckoo land not to have a query about his eyes. We've asked Mr Bruno for further information before we consider his application any further."

Bruno was crowned WBC champion when claiming a unanimous points win over Oliver McCall in September 1995 before losing to Tyson in his first defence six months later.

The much-adored British icon had previously lost three other world title bouts against Tyson, Lennox Lewis and Tim Witherspoon. His record currently stands at 40-5, with 38 of those wins coming by knockout.

new topics

top topics

join