It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Boxing: Lewis ordered to fight Tyson or Klitschko

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Deutsche Presse-Agentur (dpa) - April 4, 2003

Los Angeles (dpa) - World Boxing Council (WBC) heavyweight champion, Lennox Lewis, has been given an ultimatum to commit himself to defending his title against Mike Tyson.

The organization told Lewis that he had until April 15 to decide whether he was going to fight against Tyson, or not. Should he decide against a rematch with Tyson, he has to negotiate with Vitali Klitschko.

The Ukrainian-born Klitschko, who fights out of Germany, earlier in the year went to court in an attempt to force the champion to fight him, claiming that as the number one ranked boxer, he should be given an opportunity to fight for the title.

The WBC ruled though that Klitschko was not the official challenger, but has now told the 31-year-old that should the Lewis Tyson bout go ahead, he will take on the winner.

Klitschko's lawyer, Ronald DiNicola said he was very happy with the WBC's announcement. "Klitschko has taken a major step towards a title fight. He will definitely get a chance."

WBC president Jose Sulaiman said that should Lewis opt for the Tyson fight, the bout would have to take place before June 30.

A potential date for the lucrative Lewis Tyson fight is June 21. Lewis last year knocked out Tyson in the eighth round.

Sulaiman did not say what would happen if Lewis turns down both Tyson and Klitschko, but in similar situations, the title has been declared dormant and a deciding bout between the first and second- ranked challengers has been held.

This would mean a fight between Klitschko and former champion Hasim Rahman from America.

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Its about damm time. He's had enough time off if you ask me. I personally dont want to see him fight Tyson again after he basically destroyed him last year. I really would like to see him fight Vitali Klitschko.

Ben

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Lewis would destroy tyson in another fight, and personaly i think tyson would be scared to get back in the ring with him. And we already saw Tyson get beat so i would say get somebody new a chance to fight.

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I agree. They should give other fighthers a chance at the Heavyweight Crown. Tyson is a has been. His best years are WAY WAY behind him.

TRD

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Whoever Lewis fights at the moment he will win their isn't that many good fighters about at the present.
Did i hear right Foreman might fight again?

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I haven't heard anything about Foreman fighting again. Where did you hear that?

TRD

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 05:13 PM
link   
He was on a chat show in England a little while ago and said he will fight again saying he will be the 1st to win a title in his 20's 30's 40's and 50's if i remember correctly.

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I think that was him basically kidding around. I dont think he will return. I mean why would he. The guy is over 50 he's already a 2-time former Heavyweight Champion of the World. He's rich. He's got nothing left to prove. Why would he risk his health and risk permanent injury by returning to boxing. I just dont see him doing it.

TRD

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Couldn't agree with you more unless they find a punch bag for him to fight!

He was on there promoting his cooking range "the mini grill" etc

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 05:21 PM
link   

He was on there promoting his cooking range "the mini grill" etc

Gotta love that grill. Its great. LOL!c

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Boy, I hope Foreman doesn't come back. Isn't that grill supposed to cut out the fat and keep you lean and mean? I guess Ol' George doesn't use his own product.

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I guess Ol' George doesn't use his own product.

I guess not. LOL

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Which of those Klitschko bro's are better?
I remember seeing one of them getting beat about a month ago on HBO. I was surprised, they were really hyping him to be pretty good.

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Both of them are pretty good. But Vladimir lost the WBO Wolrd Heavyweight Title last month after he was knocked out by South African Fighther Corey Sanders. The funny thing about it was that Vladimir was considered the better of the two. Now Vitali is the #1 ranked contender for the WBC World Title. I would really like to see that fight happen.

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis may fight in the same ring June 21 -- just not against each other.

Talks are under way for the two heavyweights to appear in separate fights of a heavyweight doubleheader, perhaps in Buffalo, N.Y.

Possible opponents for Lewis include No. 1-ranked Vitali Klitschko, Kirk Johnson or Buffalo's Joe Mesi. Tyson's fight would be against someone along the lines of his last opponent, perhaps a fading Oleg Maskaev.

Lewis had been hoping to fight Tyson, but Tyson has been adamant that he needs at least two more fights before he challenges Lewis for the title again. Lewis gave Tyson a beating last June before finally stopping him in the eighth round in Memphis.

espn.go.com...

Should be a good fight card with Tyson and Lewis fighting, wonder how much that would cost to see? They said if it is held in Buffalo, it would probably be held outdoors at Ralph Wilson Stadium, home of the Bills.

TRD

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 12:59 PM
link   
They are saying that Tyson is not ready yet he wants to have a couple more fights before a rematch with Lewis,I think that it doesn't matter how many fights he needs Lewis will still kick his Butt..

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I agree. I dont want to see Lewis fight Tyson again. It would be boring to see Tyson get his ass wupped again.

new topics

top topics

join