It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olympic Sports: Winter Olympics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Just thought I'd get something started here talking about the upcoming Olympics in Turin, Italy. There are only 45 days until the opening ceremonies.

Does everyone like the way that they split the Winter and Summer Games nowadays/

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
i do enjoy that they split them up, i enjoy watching the olympics and it's nice to not have to wait 4 years to see them.

on another note, is anyone planning on going to see them this year? I hear it's wicked expensive to get a hotel room in Italy for the Olympics, i've seen package deals for 2 major events and a couple smaller draw ones, along with a week's hotel stay for $4,000 a person not including travel to and from Italy. I was thinking it would be fun to go see them when they are held in China, i've always wanted to go there and this would be a good excuse.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Just a few days away from the games in Torino. What is everyone looking forward to watching? I want to see the speed skating competition, and of course figure skating (those chicks are HOT!)

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   
the olympics are starting today, i find myself to have no interest in them this year and i have no idea why, is anyone else feeling the way i do?

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I'm looking forward to the downhill skiing, bobsledding, curling, and the crazy guys who go down the bobsled track head first on a piece of plywood with some ice skates on the bottom.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The guys that do the ski jump are pretty insane, too. Have you ever seen one of those things up close and personal? I got scared just driving past the ones in Lake Placid!

I heard that there was a controversy about women not being allowed to compete in the ski jump, I had never realized that it was a men's only competition.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I'm looking forward to collecting the gold in hockey. Controversy or not, Canada has to be the favorite for the gold.

I also like the downhill skiing, speedskating (both long and short track) and of course the lovely ladies of figure skating.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Thought this was good

[Edited on 2/11/06 by PavingSlab]

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
The guys that do the ski jump are pretty insane, too. Have you ever seen one of those things up close and personal? I got scared just driving past the ones in Lake Placid!

I'd agree with that them guys are crazy too, what's the name of the British guy that always competed in the ski jump but never won anything, i think he was in his 50's or something.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Eddie 'the Eagle' Edwards

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Bode Miller's predecessor?

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:54 AM
link   
medals Table day two

1. United States 2 1 0
2. Germany 2 0 0
3. France 1 0 1
4. Canada 1 0 0
4. Estonia 1 0 0
6. Norway 0 2 2
7. Austria 0 2 0
8. Czech Republic 0 1 0
8. Holland 0 1 0
10. Finland 0 0 1

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I enjoy watching the Olympics very much, most of these athletes have dedicated their life to training for these events and it makes for some really good competition.

Right now I'm watching the USA vs Germany women's hockey game.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Women's hockey will come down to Canada and the US. It's always a good game though. The other teams don't generally belong on the same ice as those two. Canada beat Italy 16-0. Ouch!!!

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Day 3

1. United States 4 2 0
2. Russia 2 3 1
3. Germany 2 0 1
4. Norway 1 3 4
5. Holland 1 2 0
6. South Korea 1 1 1
7. Italy 1 0 2
8. Canada 1 0 1
8. France 1 0 1
10. Estonia 1 0 0

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I just read that Kwan officially dropped out of the competition, that is very sad. One of the best ever in her sport, but never won Olympic gold.

I also heard today about Ohno stumbling in the race last night. That's gotta suck for him, now two Olympics in a row that he has had that problem.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Well, the games are over today (at least I think so) I haven't hardly watched any of them, mainly because I'm still in the middle of moving, and haven't got cable at the new abode. (or internet connection....)

Anywho, it doesn't look like many of you watched the games, either. My question is, what gives? Do we just not care as much about the winter Olympics? I remember the summer Olympics 2 years ago, this site was buzzing with threads about the events and such, but there was hardly diddly-poo about the games posted gere iver the past 2 weeks. Any thoughts?

new topics

top topics

join