It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

something interesting... (religious wise)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2002 @ 07:01 PM
link   
U see when you get baptized u agree to be a member of the church and follow Christian rules and that's when you get the Holy Spirit.
But...
When we do receive our baptism most of us are babies
So when we do this great promise we don't have conscious of what we're doing
So shouldn't we wait till we understand the meaning of the promise that we are agreeing to? I think that your baptism should be done when you are at this stage. When you are a baby you really don't know what you are doing.

Also did you know that the Muslim religion does take consideration Jesus and Virgin Mary
The only thing is that they think of Jesus as just a prophet not as our savior but they still honor him and there is a whole chapter about Jesus in their "KORAM" I think that's how it's called don't quote me on that. I�m not sure

posted on Nov, 13 2002 @ 07:21 PM
link   
yes, the second we get baptised we become members of the church
and it last with us forever. this baptism gives you grace your whole childhood
until you reach the age of reason. then if you commit a mortal sin you lose this grace
from your baptism.

Thats why kids are baptised as early as possible.

I was baptised at one years old. 18 strait years and did not have a clue
what anything about god meant. Just learning through the grace of god because of my
baptism. i was being called back into the church.

It gives you a special grace, and you become parts of the body of christ.

Yes the koran does talk about mary and jesus, but it calss jesus a prophet who did not die on the cross.

christ himself talks about how he is the messiah.

And so the prophet in the koran says hes the messiah, so the koran sould call him a false prophet.

but allah calls him a prophet.

basically jesus had witnesses in the bible, the twelve apostles, they all talked about him dying,
confirmed him riasing from the dead, and to be the messaih.

so the koran is very wrong on this matter.

blue grl, you seem like a very nice person. hope that helped

peace.

posted on Nov, 13 2002 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Blue,

I agree with you on the baptism thing. In the Catholic tradition, I was baptised as a baby. Later in life, I thought this unfair - I was an infant who had no clue what these people were doing pouring water over my head, I had no say whatsoever!

As a teenager, I made the decision to give my life to the Lord. It was MY decision, not my parents', the priests', or anyone else's. To make my decision public, I chose to be baptised in a Baptist church (no pun intended). What a different point of view they had - I was now responsible for my choice and for my spiritual growth from that point on. I agreed with that. (And no more blaming my parents for events out of my control!)

posted on Nov, 13 2002 @ 07:29 PM
link   
thanks u 2 hope 2 c ur opinion more again bye

posted on Nov, 13 2002 @ 07:31 PM
link   
care bear that's exactly what im saying parent's force us into a religion that we don't know if in the end that's the one of our choice that's why i think babtism should not be done as a baby
religion is suppose to b ur own belief
well where is ur say if you can't even talk yet

posted on Nov, 13 2002 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I'm going to agree with bluegrl's question...We should wait until we are old enough to make a decission to join a church.

But it will never happen, all ecclesiastical religions, as far as I know, anyone with any other info come forward, essentially starts you off in their church. You are born into it, as long as your parents don't take measures to prevent that. And in nations unlike the U.S. it is pretty much manditory, and hard to get out of.

This came about in my opionion, from a need of control, or maybe pride, church "drafting" followers, and parents pride in their religion and passing it on to their children.

Probably the latter, though maybe certain religions are the former...oh well, that's how I veiw how it is. How it should be is you don't belong to anything until you come of age, and can actually make an honest decision.

Hmm truth are you sure that the koran says jesus did not die on the cross?

I'll post this and continue to look for a cross reference on that...and edit this once I've discovered it.

Very interesting, I can not find even one mentioning of Jesus or anything like him, in the Koran.

Sincerely,
no signature

[Edited on 14-11-2002 by FreeMason]

posted on Nov, 13 2002 @ 09:32 PM
link   
In mostly all faiths some sort of blessing or baptism occurs. Its roots lay in the idea that the parents who are of a certain faith are presenting the child to God so that the will be acknowledged by him.

Conversely at about the age of 15 most if not all religions have confirmation.

A ritual in which the teenager acknowledges there individual
faith before others.

It is customary that at this time one if considered mature enough to decide.

posted on Nov, 13 2002 @ 10:08 PM
link   
You are absolutely correct, Bluegirl, and the water on the baby only cleans off a spot on him, nothing more. Human rituals and traditions accomplish nothing. The Bible is clear that your salvation is between God and you, and it occurs when He knocks and you open the door. Opening that door is a matter of choice and a choice can only be made by someone who is capable of decision-making.

posted on Nov, 13 2002 @ 10:35 PM
link   
wow i'm surprise i never thought that people would agree with me on this topic
i thought that strong catholic believers would jump down my throat
im glad to see that people see it from my point of view!

and yes allah does metion jesus in his book but he just talks about him like one of his prophets
but im not sure about the cross thing
peace

posted on Nov, 13 2002 @ 10:37 PM
link   
If you can point out the source where Jesus is mentioned in the Koran I'll be happy to believe it, until then I am telling you that Jesus is not mentioned in the Koran neither by name nor as by prophet.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Nov, 13 2002 @ 10:50 PM
link   
ok i'll try 2 find it 4 u when i'll find it i'll tell you ok

posted on Nov, 13 2002 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Freemanson:

u told me to tell u when i found the information well here it is
got it from encarta encyclopedia

The main topic of the Qur'an is God's relationship with humanity. The Qur'an summons humans to acknowledge God's sovereignty over their lives and invites them to submit to his will. The chief doctrines laid down in the Qur'an are that only one God and one true religion exist; that all people will undergo a final judgment, with the just being rewarded with eternal bliss and the sinners being punished; and that when humankind turned from truth, God sent prophets to lead the way back. The greatest of these prophets were Abraham, Moses, JESUS CHRIST, and Muhammad.

i found it

posted on Nov, 14 2002 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Truth, what are you doing or suggesting?.

Thomas crowne is right in what he said.

Babies and children should NOT Be baptised.
No where in the Bible does it say that children or babies were or are to be baptised.
Turn to MARK Chapter 10 NOW.
When Jesus called to him the chidren mentioned here, what did he do?.
He Blessed them. He did not baptise them but he blessed them. Ask yourself why Jesus did not baptise the children here.

Baptism is a commandment of God and it is also the counsel of God. It is a spiritual sign of the individual dying to the old man of sin. It is of the upmost importance in Gods sight, so it therefore must only be taken by someone who has understanding of what they are doing.

At what age was Jesus baptised?. Was it 6 months old, 5 years, 10 years?. Jesus was baptised when he was around 30 years old. Jesus is our example of the life that god expects us to live, so we can take it from this that it has always been God's intention that only someone with undertanding can take baptism. We also know that a person cannot enter the kingdom of heaven without taking baptism so this indicates the real spiritual importance of it.

I am not your enemy but please, if you want to call yourself "truth", then please try to tell people the truth. For this false doctrine has caused a great deceit to go out into the world.

posted on Nov, 14 2002 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Just as a point of info, my Baptism was fully self-voluntary...My own parents gave me at least that much, to learn how to be responsible for what I do. Even though I started following Christ & God more than 10 years *before* my Baptism, I wanted to understand more about the responsibilities & duties of that promise before I made it (I'm an upstanding sort of guy when it comes to a promise...I believe that they mean, "I'll *do*" rather than "I'll *try*").

It was a *full immersion* Baptism that happened about 2 years after I got married. On the day of our wedding, I asked the priest who performed the ceremony to also anoint our car. Main reason? I *know*, from experience, how crazy & stupid many people get when they climb behind the wheel of a car & I wanted God to help my wife (who was a *very* inexperienced driver at the time) to be safe & sound while she drives. In other words, I asked for the anointing because of *someone else's sake*, not my own.

[Edited on 15-11-2002 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Nov, 15 2002 @ 09:04 AM
link   
There's lots of mention of Jesus in the Koran. This site (which is Christians prosteletyzing to the Muslims) lists the verses to use in converting Muslims to Christianity. Note that they do not list any Biblical references; only Koran references:

www.islam-101.org...

[Edited on 15-11-2002 by Byrd]

posted on Nov, 15 2002 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Yes Trutj is right. We do it to remove first sin, which is Adam and Eve's sin. Jesus was baptized at an earlier age, because John the Baptist started Baptizm. Stewards u were wrong. Truth is right in this topic.

posted on Nov, 15 2002 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Please show me where to find the need to baptize a child in the KJV. If it is not there but in some other source used by some other religion, I'll be happy to agree to disagree with a handshake and a smile.

posted on Nov, 15 2002 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Jedi Master
WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?!?!?!?!?
we can't ever remove first sin commited by Adam and Eve
don't you know that?
batism is not to take away the original sin
we can't ever do that
it is for us to be accepted in the Catholic Church and earn the right to actually call your self Catholic
IT IS NOT TO REMOVE THE ORIGINAL SIN

posted on Nov, 16 2002 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Good call TC....... You think John the Baptist baptized babys or little kids? I don't think so.....

yes, the second we get baptised we become members of the church
and it last with us forever.
I thought once you accept Jesus as your lord and saviour you become a part of the church. Not from some Catholic ritual as a little kid or completely unknowing baby.

top topics

join