It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rugby, Australian Football: Davis left in Limbo

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Former Wakefield captain Brad Davis has been frozen out of English rugby league on his return from France.

The veteran Australian half-back arrived back in England earlier this week from his stint as player-coach with Villeneuve and was expected to link up with National League club Halifax, with whom he signed a short-term deal in April.

But he has been tempted by an offer to return to relegation-threatened Super League club Castleford and has now been left in limbo after the clubs failed to agree on a compensation package.

"Brad won't be playing for us on Sunday," admitted Halifax team manager Paul Dixon.

"I have spoken to him and he told me his heart would not be in it.

"It's a bad situation. We feel hard done by because, if Cas hadn't come in for him, he would be playing for us this weekend.

"Now he won't be playing for us and he probably won't be playing for them either."

The bottom-of-the-table Tigers wanted their former player in time for Sunday's must-win home clash with Warrington but have been unable to persuade players to drop out of Super League.

Halifax are thought to have asked for former players Lee Harland and Damian Gibson in exchange for the 36-year-old Davis, who would overtake former Leeds winger Paul Sterling as the oldest ever Super League player if he returns to play for Castleford.

"I would hate to see Cas go down so, if I can help them, that's what I want to do," said Davis. "I'm just waiting for the clubs to resolve the situation."

new topics

join