It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rugby, Australian Football: Rugby or American Football

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Its as hard as any sport i guess. If you can run , you can play

TRD

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aspect
Just local , but you never know

Well i suppose if you are young enough time will be on your side..

As for being hard i would say the fitness levels are well high in the professional game these guys are so fit and strong..

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Yeah you see some pro's with big fat guts running for 80 mins no problem.

Ben

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:22 AM
link   
So in otherwords you have to be in great shape...same with any other sport. I have always wondered what the rules are for this sport?

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Anything about the rules you dont understand? Im sure i can give you the answer

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aspect
Yeah ill be under 17's this season , which starts next month i think.

what position do you play?

Ben, don't be too worried about getting poked in the eyes and stuff, it doesn't happen particularly often (depends on who you're playing). Unless you would want to be a forward you wouldn't have to worry about scrums at all. However, I will admit that being on the bottom of a ruck isn't particularly pleasent.

[Edited on 04/10/03 by FAJA]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 05:48 AM
link   
As mentioned by others all you need to know is how to run. As far as rules, gouging an opponent's eye out or raking etceteras are not really part of any "game." I've seen similar shenanigans at a Macy's Ladies Day Sale. If you want to see someone scratch someone's eyes out with gusto watch two women fighting they're a lot better at it. Anybody who thinks Rugby is any sort of "game" is an idiot. If you're stupid enough to want to go into battle with no protection no strategy and you want to fight like a girl than I guess Rugby is for you. But don't call it a game. Whether it's Aussie Rules or Rugby Union or Rugby League, it's not a game. You might as well stand in the center of the arena and beat each other with sticks. Oh sorry that's hockey.

TRD

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Rugby is not a game?

What planet are you on?

The same must go for American football then, as they throw the ball, catch the ball and run with it like Rugby. Rugby is more physical as they don't wear much protection like the NFL wimps ..

Rugby is the same as any sport, of course they use strategy and tactics. You try to kick a ball from the halfway line between the posts, and i don't mean directly in front of them like they do in the NFL. I mean from every angle on the pitch, ohh is that why quite a few kickers in the game of rugby have been touted up by the big teams to play in the NFL... But i don't see Rugby teams trying to sign the kickers in the NFL...

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
TRD, I'm not necessarily standing up for our new friend rav4, but you've made some assumptions here, and you know what happens when you do that...

First of all, you immediately start bashing on American Football, but our new friend didn't say anythign about it, so we can't be sure if that is what he prefers to the "sissy" sport of rugby. (BTW, that's his word, not mine)

And don't say that all of American football players have a ton of protection on. On any given weekend, there are millions of guys out there playing the game in backyards, without any protection. And it hurts.

As for kickers, they are not always kicking straight on, but often kick from the left or right hash. Maybe not the entire width of the field, but not always from the center.

All that being said, I am too much of a wuss to play rugby. Unless it's with toddlers.

TRD

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The title of the thread is Rugby or American football

I was just using that as an example.. Thats its easy to bash a sport when you don't exactly know the ins and outs of the game and how they play it...

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
It's apples and oranges guys. Rugby players play, football players do what they're told. Rugby in it's truest sense, Ausie rules, is violent and exciting. GO DEMONS!

It doesn't replace the chess matches of the NFL though imo. This is where the coaching staff makes a difference.

TRD

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Without a doubt that tactically the NFL coaches win hands down..

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
The title of the thread is Rugby or American football

I was just using that as an example.. Thats its easy to bash a sport when you don't exactly know the ins and outs of the game and how they play it...

Oops...now I understand.

So how's a doofus like me gonna learn more about Rugby?

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

Play it if you have insurance.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by truenorth

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

Play it if you have insurance.

Sorry, btw, the lateral in the NFL comes from rugby.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I would have to stick with the NRL in australia.GO YOU EELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit> A few too many !! lol!

[Edited on 2/11/05 by TRD]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Played Rugby for about 11 years, and 5 knee operations soon brought a halt to it all. As to whether one is harder than the other I think they are as tough as each other. Just wish I'd had that hard hat a few times that I'd been playing, maybe it wouldn't take me so long to type a reply

top topics

<< 1   >>

join