It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rugby, Australian Football: Rugby or American Football

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I will most probebly get some stick over this but i think Rugby is a much tougher and violent sport than American Football!

Ben

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Rugby by far is a much tougher sport, you are hitting people just as hard as you would in football but with out pads. From watching it on TV it looks like it hurts. And in Rugby there are less breaks, and more people chassing after you.

TRD

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 04:22 PM
link   
That is true not saying that American football is a girls game but in Rugby when they have a Scrum they Eye Gouge,Bite,Punch and Kick and thats just a few things.

Ben

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 04:24 PM
link   
geez, maybe i should reconsider playing.

TRD

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 04:28 PM
link   

geez, maybe i should reconsider playing.

Playing Rugby?

Also a favourite is raking the studs down the legs and stamping when someone goes down (seen some bad stamps on the head..NASTY..)

Ben

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 06:07 PM
link   
by raking the stud down the legs do you mean the spikes on the cleats on the legs. If that is the case that would hurt.

TRD

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 06:22 PM
link   
by raking the stud down the legs do you mean the spikes on the cleats on the legs. If that is the case that would hurt.

Yes that's correct,if i had a choice of both American Football would be my choice

Ben

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 06:23 PM
link   
yea definatly american football seems to be less hurtful, there is still injurys in football, but getting poked in they eye thats to much for me. I will stay with American Football.

TRD

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Good choice! don't want you walking about with half a ear missing,teeth missing,broken nose and your body all busted up

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I have watched some rugby on TV and saw some really vicious hits, those guys do whatever it takes to win, pretty entertaining. We used to play intramural rugby in college but there were so many rules so people didnt get hurt and sue the school, but that was even rough. I would say it's rougher than American football simply because your protection is a shirt, shorts, and a pair of socks.

posted on May, 12 2003 @ 08:23 AM
link   
American Football is alot more difficult to learn and there are so many play variations to master. Rugby is definately more violent though, over arm closeline on the winger works quite well. Like TRD said so much goes on in the scrum, you have to wear lycra shorts under your kit otherwise someone will grab your nuts!

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 05:15 PM
link   
A good game of running rugby.. there is nothing better...but if you get a whistle happy ref...it ruins the fell of the game for the fans..

Alot of refs use the advantage rule to stop halts to the game.

As you guys have said you can get mauled in the wruck..but only if you fall over in the opposition side of the wruck... Penalties are there to preserve the bodies and lives of the players! heh

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Some of the refs stop and start too often, a free flowing game is much better to watch. Players skills determine the games, I don't like to see alot of penalties (even though that's how we win of late!).

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 05:07 PM
link   
American Football is so soft its unbelievable , the amount of times ive been raked and punched. I even had one guy stamp on my head , but i got him back after
:

TRD

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 05:35 PM
link   
You Play Rugby Aspect?

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Yeah ill be under 17's this season , which starts next month i think.

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 03:45 AM
link   
You can't make a real comparison between the two. American football is a game of VIOLENT collision, unlike rugby. Your right, rugby players DO love to paw and claw at each other, but if there is a REAL , non-flinching collision between ruggers, it's generally because they weren't watching where they were going, an accident. Rugby players just don't launch their bodies like missiles, in order to knock the pole pizz out of the opponent. You know what a "snot bubbler" is? Ask anyone whose played organized American Football. Besides, it's a MUCH more interesting game. kinda like "full contact chess". You got yer stradtegy, you got yer violence, you got yer slutty pro cheerleaders, WHAT ELSE IS THERE?

Killdick of the Bluegrass

GOD BLESS AMERICA, Kentucky's doin just fine!

[Edited on 04/10/03 by killdickvital]

TRD

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aspect
Yeah ill be under 17's this season , which starts next month i think.

Nice to actually have someone playing some sport on the site,what level? local or better?

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Just local , but you never know

Ben

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 12:47 PM
link   
NOw i love to play football...is playing Rugby hard at all?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join