It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professorship in parapsychology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 02:51 PM
link   
You have a chance:

More than your usual variety of academics have applied for a professorship in parapsychology being offered by Lund University, the first in Sweden and the subject of some dispute in the Nordic country's academic circles.

According to Jitka Lind�n, head of the Department of Psychology at the university, just a third of the 30 or so applicants are scientifically qualified for the position.

�Some people had misunderstood what it means to be a professor. I had to answer all kinds of questions on the telephone before the applications were due,� Lind�n told The Scientist. �For example, one person asked if it was enough to be a medium to apply for the position.�

The story of the post goes back some 40 years, to the will of a Danish margarine manufacturer who died in 1962. Funds to set up such a post were first offered to universities in Copenhagen and Stockholm, none of which accepted the donation.

Gudmund Smith, professor emeritus in psychology at Lund University, was involved at that time. �I knew the people who said no. They were afraid of hurting their reputation. The spontaneous reaction was that these subjects could not be worked on,� says Smith, who is a self-described skeptic.

But he's now been convinced that serious research could be done on the subject, although he thinks it may be fruitless. �I can't see at all that this could hurt us in Lund. But I was hesitant in the beginning, thinking it an odd bird to place at our institution.�

�It was my principal that made me change my mind,� he adds. �He said the money may come in handy.�

Mind over matter

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 07:50 PM
link   
All fakes are good ones

hes asian, the ghost looks asain

and the suburbs are mostly full of white peeps, so statistically the ghost should be white too...

just a real good prank

new topics

join