It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cricket: Nasser Hussein Quits

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Nasser Hussain resigned as England's Test captain on Monday night after coming to the harsh conclusion that his style of leadership was a thing of the past.

Hussain announced he would be stepping down as captain after 45 Tests having convinced himself he was no longer motivating his side during the opening Test against South Africa at Edgbaston, which ended in a draw today.

Hussain believed his style was becoming stale and dated over the last few days in comparison with Michael Vaughan's fresh approach as skipper during the recent one-day tournament.

It prompted his surprise phone call to chairman of selectors David Graveney this morning, who he informed of his plans, and instead of travelling to Lord's for Thursday's second Test as captain he will return as a player under Vaughan's captaincy.

"It's been very difficult for me because my style of captaincy has been all about aggression and I believe you have to give them a kick up the backside now and again," said Hussain.

"After seeing a young side enjoy themselves so much and have a different style of captaincy, it was very difficult for me on my first day back out there to be something completely different even though that was very natural to me - things had moved on a little bit and they have someone who can take them on now."

new topics

join