It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cricket: LATIF SALUTES BATTLING SCOTS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Pakistan skipper Rashid Latif told world cricket bosses to create a place on the big stage for Craig Wright's bravebats.

Latif was unable to conceal his admiration for the fired-up Scots after they went within a single wicket of creating one of the biggest shocks in cricketing history.

Despite worries over his own side's ropey batting display, the veteran Pakistani wicketkeeper heaped praise on the hosts.

He said: "Kenya and Bangladesh have been given one-day status and I think there should be a place for Scotland in international cricket as well.

"They made it very tough for us but that was no surprise. We know how well they have been doing this season."

Despite leaving out pace duo Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Sami, Latif insisted the tourists had not treated Scotland lightly.

"We took them seriously," he added.

"I'm not worried about our bowling and know what Shoaib and Sami can do but it is our batting that is a concern. The conditions probably helped Scotland but they deserve credit for using them."

Gutted Scotland skipper Craig Wright said: "To get so close to beating a Test team and not finish the job is very disappointing.

"We showed as we have done a few times this season that we can be competitive against quality opposition and I hope people are sitting up and taking notice.

"It's been a bit of a recurring theme that we've been about 20 or 30 runs short in some games but even 10 more might have been enough today.

"It's frustrating to lose but pleasing to push them so close."

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I didn't realise Scotland bothered playing anymore!!

join