It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: Fifa World Cup 2006 Thread

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Looking at the teams in the semi-finals, you have to fancy France to win the World Cup now. They knocked out Brazil, yet another team that failed to live up to it. France have started off slow and gained momentum as they have gone along, they are peaking just at the right time and should go all the way. Look at Argentina and Spain, looked great in the early games but dwindle out...

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I think the time has come for France to install a one week monarchy, and in that monarchy they install Zidane as a knight. Sir Zidane!!! That's the only way I cou'd describe the way Zidane played today. Excellent ball control; great passes; supreme oversight and direction. Ronaldinho didn't have that today.

And Henry... Well he did what he had to do... Score!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
TRD....

Before the game started today, i had a feeling England were going to sneak it. With Scolari having such a good record against Sven and his amazing role in which his managed teams have been unbeated in about 14 games i thought it was going to come to and end.

Game started and there was not much between the two teams, a few chances to either side but when the Rooney incident happened things changed. I thought Rooney meant it, he does have a temper and can be very aggressive. I never seen the bit with Ronaldo, but the Portuguese did their usual style of conning free kicks and doing bits behind the refs back. Rooney did not have a great tournament, thought he was better in the game against Equador in making runs.

Not sure why Portugal decided to play Ronaldo up-front, he had no effect up their and is far better attacking the defenders from the wing. Thought he did pretty well at it too!

England sat defensive and Portugal could not break them down, i thought Portugal looked like scoring when England had 11 men, not the 10. Hargreaves was awesome! i know he gets slagged alot but i think today we seen a side of him which does not always happen. He was running non stop and even in the last minute of the game he was making runs, and won possesion none stop.

Lennon came on, and he looked great! was fast and was far more effective than Beckham. Lampard was awful!

But with Brazil, Ronaldhino was pretty poor. I think these guys are so used to a certain system, they just could not adapt which is pretty poor.

Crouch did alright, he won possesion a few times but his touch at times is awful! hes not a world class striker. Walcott, what a joke that turned out to be. There was all this hype about him, and he did no get a chance. I wanted to see Walcott get a chance aswell, Lennon came on and did well, ran at players and beat them, got the ball in. Walcott could have done the same.

The game was in extra time, the Portuguese full backs were knackered. I think if both Lennon and Walcott were own, a victory could have been sneaked. The pace these guys have would have created chances, if not chances i think they could get up and boot it off players for corners. And it was set pieces which was Englands best chance of scoring, Crouch as the solo striker wasnt enough.

But nope...... Sven takes Lennon off for Carragher, as Carragher is supposed to be good at penalites and misses his.

I think at the Penalties, the English team bottled it.

But with that being said, if England had won and went through.... that would be them without Rooney and Owen. I think the pyscholigcal blow would have been to much

But on the bright side......no more Sven!

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Wow, what a load of utter bollocks. I really thought we had an excellent chance this time around. Yet once again we were let down by a shoddy manager who isnt worth a cent of what he gets paid. I still think bringing Walcott was a good idea, but bringining someone you never even intend to play is not. Sven will claim he never he the opportunity to bring him on, but ffs, he could have started him instead of using 4-5-1, especially as it was really 4-4-1 at the best of times *cough* Lampard you over paid underperformer. If Walcott was brought on when Owen got injured the whole dynamic of the team would have changed, and for the better.

In my opinion no formation will ever work for England as well as the conventional 4-4-2. Players know what to expect, how to play and to change that mid tornament is just suicide. What really worries me is how much of a say McClaren had in it. If he genuinely thought it was good as well, then god forbid what is to come...

I still dont believe he took off Jole Cole, our best player at the moment, after we went down to 10 men. Surely bringing off your most retarded off form player for a semi in form retard makes more sense than taking off Cole?? As for taking off Lenon, that was equally stupid. Even though he may not have played much during the WC, he was certainly one of our top players... I cant wait to see him fill the role permanently at the next major tournament and for many more after!

Shesh, I could rant about this for ages. But what I will say now is I REALLY hate quater finals... invoving red cards... and disallowed goals... and sodding penalties... clearly not a familiar scene for us Brits at all...

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Oh and the refs this whole tournament have been #. But who ever put an Argentinian ref on with England playing is as dumb as they come. Rooney should have had a foul in his favour before he tried to stamp on Carvahlo's goolies. I hope there is a big fight at the Man U training ground nest season and Rooney does to Ronaldo what he tried to do to Carvalho! As for Carragher's penalty retake, I think the fact that it was an Argentine ref explains why the first one wasnt good enough...

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Germany should handle Italy but I'm worried about France's chances against Portugal. After the match they didn't celebrate, the went into a secret location to hone their skills. I've been able to locate some pictures of them:

They are looking impresive and their game is on.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
With Lampard being so poor, is that the old bit of Gerrard and Lampard can't play in the same team popping up again? i think they do the same role, the only difference being Gerrard is more defensive

I thought Beckham had a poor tournament, if he was poor at set pieces would there have been any point in taking him to Germany?

Over the games, i would say Cole was the best English player and is the most skillfull guy England have. Taking him off was nuts, same with Lennon who looked good but he was subbed to. When these guys came off you knew it was a case of Sven was playing for the penalties.

With Penalties, England always seem to bottle it and i think that must be to do with mentality. You can practise all day but at the end when it matters you require bottle

Lampard seems to be missing penalties and shots all the time in the England set up, making him hit first i think there is question marks. I think there was a better chance of England winning in extra time than there was in penalities

With Walcott, it does look like Sven never had any intentions on playing him.

Reflecting on other players...... Robinson looked shaky in the first few games, but did get better. Neville was alright, not that effictive.

I thought Ashley Cole looked good, same with Terry who only made that 1 mistake against Equador. Ferdindand was alright.

Hargreaves was good, same with Cole and Lennon too when he played. Thats 3 midfielders, on merit i think these guys were the best ones and after that i would say Gerrard. I think those guys as a midfield would be good. Cole on the left, Lennon on the right, Hargreaves and Gerrard in the middle. At Bayern they have Hargreaves doing the donkey work, and hes good at it but Lampard in the middle ain't what hes interested in. Hes more into attacking and when that happens, it conflicts with Gerrards style of play.

But Beckham and Lampard being dropped? no chance...

Newcastle are going to continue pounding the FA about Owen.

Rooney did not look quite right i thought, but being injured and coming back so quickly he prob knackered himself out

With Sven going and McLaren coming in, i think hes worse! All the key players in their run to the UEFA cup final he wanted to sell as he thought they were not doing good and he could replace them. But Gibson said nope, we are not allowing any transfer activity at the moment.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Sorry to hear about the poor game, my English friends. I saw a little bit of the game while gettign ready for the wedding yesterday, my brother-in-law told me about Rooney, and I figured you were in for a long day.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   

David Beckham quit as England captain Sunday, the morning after his team went out in the World Cup quarterfinals on penalties to Portugal.

A tearful Beckham, wearing the England team tracksuit, read a statement to a crowded news conference at England's training camp, stressing that he wanted to continue playing for England.

Yahoo! Sports Story Link

It looks like changes are in store for England already.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
On the BBC website, someone wrote a very interesting piece on the England overview of the Cup.

I think it might have been Alan Hansen who said about how English players lack real skill, which i think is quite a good point. He said about looking at Portugal, they have Ronaldo, Figo and a few other who can all run at you with the ball and are flair players. But when you look at the English midfield, its pretty static when it comes to skill, its more about strength

I guess there is a few players who do have some skill, but when you look at the main players..... Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham its not the case.

Ahh... good stuff about Beckham. If it weren't for his name being so big in football he wouldnt have travelled to the World Cup. I think hes noticed it and thats why hes stepped down as captain

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Yeah without David Beckham as England captain his place willl get filled permanently by Lennon very quickly. He knew that he was only keeping his place due to his status and his once amazing skills at set pieces and with long range shots (which we now never see)And Lennon, though he is young he has some great skill on the ball and fantastic pace. Looks like he could be a right wing version of Joe Cole, and that certainly wouldnt be a bad thing!

I totally agree with the flair point. Of the current midfield, only Joe Cole seems to have any. Gerrad is still a fantastic player, but he lacks a certain, je ne sais quoi, that Ronaldinho, Figo and grudgingly yes, Christiano Ronaldo all have. It is players like Gerrard that you (well Liverpool, not England) can depend on to save games and be a one man team, but without flair players there is very little spark to the team and oh boy could we do with some spark right now.

So who will be the next England captain? My money is on John Terry, but I wouldnt rule out Gerrard.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I just asked my borther in law for his expert opinion on who's going to win this. He said he has no clue, LOL. He had expected either Brazil or Argentina. I asked him if he thought maybe Germany would go on to win, to which he said they haven't played anyone yet, but the have a HUGE home field advantage.

TRD

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
France Gibbs!!

Looks like McClaren hs said that Beckham wont be guarenteed a starting place now. I dont think he was that bad for England. His two crosses enabled us to put two past Sweden. His free-kick won us one of the games aswell. What about Frank Lampard? He was toilet in most of the games, does that mean his place is not guarenteed? And alot of the other players for that matter.

How can the FA employ McClaren? England failed miserbly and HE was part of the set-up. He was Svens right hand man, he did most of the training and i bet he had more than just a bit part in team selection and tactics. The FA should admit they messed up big time in giving him the job, they should pay him off and admit they made a mistake and get Venebles back lol...

Going back to Lampard, did you see that he is moaning about the bad press he got and its not fair?

Excccuuuuse me pleeeasssee!!!

You played badly, you couldnt hit a cows backside at 2 paces with a shovel. Your passing was off and so was your whole game, you had a terrible World Cup and you missed a vital penalty kick at the crucial moment. I think that was plenty of reasons to get bad press, just because he earns huge sums of money and is touted as such a great player doesnt mean that he gets special treatment now does it.

The other thing that i thought was way out of order, was the so called WAGS.. Wives and Girlfriends of the players.. The players are in Germany to play in the most prestige tournament in football. They take along the WAGS and they think they are on a beano to Margate. They was on the piss constantly untill 3am in the morning, i bet that wasnt a distraction to the team.. What the hell are the FA, Sven and the players thinking off? I didnt hear or read about any of the other teams WAGS doing the same. Heads should be rolling and its just another farcical thing to happen in the England set-up..

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
The next round is today, right?

[Edited on 7/4/2006 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
HAs the Gemany/Italy game ended yet? Last I saw, it was tied and going into extra minutes.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Nevermind, the page updated while I was making that post, I see Italy won 2-0. Viva Italia!

TRD

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Italy played really well and scored the two goals in the last couple of minutes of extra time. What a way to get knocked out lol...

Now France to beat Portugal

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Italy Rules!!!

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
According to TSN, France beats PortuGAL 1-0 on a goal by, who else, Zidane. YEAH, PortuGAL is OUT!!!

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by truenorth
According to TSN, France beats PortuGAL 1-0 on a goal by, who else, Zidane. YEAH, PortuGAL is OUT!!!

Well, you got your wish, TN. But we can't let the Frenchies win this thing!

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join