It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: Fifa World Cup 2006 Thread

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flounder
Italy Rules!!!

Looks like I'm not alone anymore, thanks Flounder!

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Alleeeeez les bleus!!!

I'm for France to win it all..
Portugal did what they could do, but it wasn't enough.

In the mean time, the new season's trainings have already started:

Vitesse Arnhem 7 - (random amateur club) 0

TRD

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Portugal was poor, the looked ok on the ball but they couldnt score in a million years, they was lucky to get past England and the French served it to them. I think Italy might be a bit too strong for the French but it should be a good open game and there could be a few goals going in...

[Edited on 6/7/06 by TRD]

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Portugal was poor, the looked ok on the ball but they couldnt score in a million years, they was lucky to get past England and the French served it to them. I think Italy might be a bit too strong for the French but it should be a good open game and there could be a few goals going in...

[Edited on 6/7/06 by TRD]

I thought Portugal looked alright the other day but again, just like against England they did not look like scoring. Though its worth noting that it took a Penalty to beat them

Not sure who i want to win the final, i think Zidane has been playing great and in that respect, i only want France to win since Zidane plays for them.

Any ideas why Saha is getting on before Trezeguet?

Italy.... with all the scandals in Seria A right now all the players are playing really well, and its been said is this just the players trying to engineer moves

I believe Italy have a better team than France, but France has Zidane who i think could be the difference. I expect Henry to be crap!

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by rynaldo82

I believe Italy have a better team than France, but France has Zidane who i think could be the difference. I expect Henry to be crap!

Who does Henry play for?

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Henry plays for France, he played in Italy a number of years ago and was pretty poor. I believe he was played out of position though.

When he moved to England, his career was rescued and is now one of the best players there is. Occasionaly he tends to have a really quiet match were he just don't do much.

Italy has prob the best defence there is so it will be tough for him

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I haven't watched much international socc, er, football but in, er, football(NFL) or hockey for that matter 1 person can have an AMAZING game leaving everyone else on the field look like they aren't even in the game. Does this happen in football? And is Zidane capable of this?

Oops 2 questions.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by truenorth
I haven't watched much international socc, er, football but in, er, football(NFL) or hockey for that matter 1 person can have an AMAZING game leaving everyone else on the field look like they aren't even in the game. Does this happen in football? And is Zidane capable of this?

Oops 2 questions.

HA! Stupid Canadian!!!

[says the ignorant American]

Good questions, bro!

TRD

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Truenorth, yes it can happen and yes Zidane is capable of still doing it even though he is getting older.

There is quite a few players that could dominate a game if they are playing at their best.

Ronaldinhio is one for example, he put in some tremendous performances for Barcelona last season. Although he didnt have a great world cup he still can be counted as the best player in the world right now.

Thierry Henry can be devastating upfront for Arsenal and if he is on top form he could bang a couple of goals in for France in the world cup final. He can turn a game on its head if he is playing at his best..

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I see that the German captain Ballack is out for the third place game, and they have inserted Oliver Kahn at the goal, he is apparently a national hero for his world cup play over the years.

Yahoo! sports story link

Do you think that will make a big difference in the third place game?

[Edited on 7/7/2006 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
I see that the German captain Ballack is out for the third place game, and they have inserted Oliver Kahn at the goal, he is apparently a national hero for his world cup play over the years.

Yahoo! sports story link

Do you think that will make a big difference in the third place game?

[Edited on 7/7/2006 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

Missing Ballack is a huge blow as hes a fantastic player, and Oliver Khan is great. He used to be the best keeper in the world but hes fairly getting old.

But this game is for the 2 losers, both teams have been beat and mentality thinking its a case of wanting to go home. Kinda a meaningless match

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Meaningless in a way, but still better than all but 2 other nations...

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
Meaningless in a way, but still better than all but 2 other nations...

Yeah... i know what you mean Gibbs

Its like, say Germany wins and they can say say they were the 3rd best team. FIFA rankings will still say they are lower than that, not sure were Germany sit.

An article about Scolari's thoughts on the game news.bbc.co.uk...

Germany being the host nation and going out, its bad enough getting beat but in front of your own nation it will be a big blow to the German players although Klinsmann is saying the team will be motivated

I believe in football/soccer compared to other sports, the fans turn on clubs really fast if they get beat

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by rynaldo82
I believe in football/soccer compared to other sports, the fans turn on clubs really fast if they get beat

You think even on the National teams?

Germany pulled out the win, of course, so they've at least got claim to third.

Last I saw it was1-1 at the half of the championship game.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Going to PK's. This better work out for Italy as it appeared to me that they were working towards this from the middle of the second half.

Italy 5-3 on the kicks.

[Edited on 7/9/06 by truenorth]

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
France should never have gotten that PK, it was a CLEAR dive.

Is Italy's second goal a goal? Damn close. I thought that he was on side.

One can only wonder what was said to Zidane to make him go off that way. (Head butt)

OK, like I said before, I see little football, was this an extemely physical match by European standards? It would be here.

Is there going to be repurcussions throughout the European leagues after this tournament? IE: payback.

Last one, I saw the linesmen make this rotating motion with their hands. Is that a signal to the ref that the play should go on? IE: not a foul.

TRD

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I'm glad Italy won it to be honest but it wasnt as good a final as i thought it would be. In general i was dissapointed with this world cup, it lacked that certain spark like other world cups have had...

[Edited on 10/7/06 by TRD]

TRD

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Italy defender Marco Materazzi has strenuously denied reports that he called France captain Zinedine Zidane a 'dirty terrorist' in Sunday's World Cup victory in Berlin.

Skysports

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
He must have provoked him in some fashion to initiate that kind of a hit, that looked rather vicious.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Italy defender Marco Materazzi has strenuously denied reports that he called France captain Zinedine Zidane a 'dirty terrorist' in Sunday's World Cup victory in Berlin.

Skysports

He said something, that's for sure. Zidane's family is from Algeria, a predominently Muslim nation. In these days, that would be a spark. I tried all day to find out what was said, couldn't. What you've posted makes sense to me TRD. That's dirty pool.

Is Zidane's legacy tarnished? I don't think so. When everything comes out in the wash, all will be seen.

Next up, fixing what's wrong with football. That's no small feat.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join