It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: Man jailed for pitch invasion!!!

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
The man responsible for invading Burnley's pitch and confronting Blackburn's Robbie Savage has been jailed for five months. Michael Lewis, of Nelson, has been handed a jail term for an incident in which he ran on to the pitch in Burnley's fifth round FA Cup tie against bitter rivals Blackburn. Lewis was handed a 10-year banning order from football grounds, and given five-month sentences to run consecutively for four charges that included assault of a police officer.

The court heard that Lewis had a history of incidents at football grounds, and had broken a current banning order. Lewis was already serving a ban of three years from Wolverhampton magistrates in December 2002 for being drunk at a match and obstructing police officers. Last March he breached the order by going to Burnley's game at Millwall and was jailed for 28 days. He also invaded the pitch at Blackpool in 1992 and breached an exclusion order at Burnley in 1990, and he had been jailed for 18 months for assault in 1989. In mitigation, Lewis's solicitor, Dylan Bradshaw, suggested that Burnley's stewarding of the game had been below par.

LINK

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
yer, this guy did look like a thug,

its just aswell players held back savage, as knowing him, he would have reacted and fell for it.

the police officer that was hit, i heard it was female, that he hooked her and her helmet flew off

TRD

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Yeah i was watching the game live and it wasn't good. It was a female police officer aswell. The guy freaked out a bit and started hitting the police. Not a very good example of a football fan and what was just as bad the crowd right by him was cheering and laughing. Whats so funny about that?

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
yer. there was a picture of him in the paper waving his hand saying 'come on'.

Blackburns new zealand player, cant think of his name, buts hes supposed to be huge was supposed to have stood up the to guy, and the guy was like oh no? lol

yer, that was a derby match down there right

TRD

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The problem is there seems to be a sudden spate in it, what with the throwing of objects and the recent games in europe being abandoned due to trouble. It seems to have reared its ugly head again and to think it has been pretty tame in recent years compaired to the 80's. Football could do without it and things might yet get worse.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
yer, up here, ricksen got hit with a lighter lol, roy carrol got hit, this guy, was there not a streaker too on that match?

TRD

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Yep there was a streaker, also i noticed how many brawls and mass brawls there seems to be between players on the pitch in the last year or so. Much worse than what it use to be.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
how do they enforce the banning of fans from the games? with the thousands attending each game how do they pick out the few individuals who have caused problems in the past?

TRD

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
They have CCTV cameras at the games and a incident room for the police. They have an extensive database of all football hooligans and banned fans. So they can pick them out in the crowd no problems. Plus they have spotters in the crowd looking for known thugs.

The way they get banned is they go to court and get a court order banning them for life, maybe 5 years, 1 year ect from every football game of any sort in the whole of europe and sometimes a world wide ban. Sometimes they actually go to prison if they continue to do it or the case is a bad one against them.

Doz

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
One of my freinds got ejected from the ground for causing trouble. ahh well. At the rovers chelsea game there was alot of fighting which is exiteing when your there, every1 gets fired up and its good to see the passion but it gets a bit out of hand sometimes and the whole things bein thrown fiasco, that "missile" never actualy hit carrol, it flashed past him, i think that if players stoped makeing such a huge fuss over these thinks and just say "look your childish, we wont stand for it" because the more fuss that is made, the more people will b trying to force reactoions from players.

TRD

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Doz there is a difference...

Shouting things out and trying to wind up a player is just part of the game, but throwing things is wrong. What if someone threw a coin and it hits a player in the eye and blinds them? Tell them not to be a wuss and stop making a fuss?

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
yer, it is wrong.

i think what Doz was maybe trying to say is, ' that if the fans can get a reaction out of a player, they will target him more often'

TRD

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Yeah i agree and it does happen, sometimes it spurs the player on the more stick they get and sometimes it makes them have a bad game.

But to use violence is wrong as thats what it is...

new topics

top topics

join