It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: FA Cup Final midweek?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   

The Football Association are considering switching the FA Cup final to midweek, in order to aid Sven Goran Eriksson's 2006 World Cup plans.

Eriksson has always highlighted the need for extensive preparations for a major tournament and he was annoyed at the lack of time he had with his squad prior to Euro 2004.

The Swede's calls now look set to be answered, although matters are complicated by the fact that the 2006 FA Cup final is due to be the first major event to be staged at the all new Wembley stadium.

link

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
i hope it doesnt happen, its a saturday fixture.

even little things, can sometimes take the magic out of it the slightest wee bit

TRD

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
NO WAY!!!

Thats a joke, it won't be the same if they switch it..

As far back as i can remember its been on a saturday and the whole day is a great build up to the match.. Always good to watch whoever is playing.

So that would mean a night game and they wouldn't be able to do the big build up like they normally do.

I hope they don't...

Sir

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
That is just plain wrong, Sven needs to STFU and just get on with it. Why chance a format thats been running for years and there is no problems with.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
good point TRD, usually on the saturady, the programe is on a few hours before it actually starts, they cant really do that at night.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Sven Goran Ericsson, an over paid manager who hasnt proved his worth so far wants to move the game from a saturday to a wednesday??

Who does he think he is??

The only way i would say yes is if the extra rest guarantees us the World Cup, but that aint going to happen is it.I say he is told to stick it in my opinion

TRD

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I can't believe they are even thinking about it and let alone going to do it. How many people will be able to get a day off work to go to the final? If its in Cardiff then i wouldn't make it finishing at 5pm. If its at the new Wembley then thats even worse, what about the rush hour traffic and people going home from work. It would be chaos....

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
chaos?? I cannot even imagine the effect it could have on every body getting there, getting back, taking a couple of days off work etc. It just makes sense a sunny saturday afternoon end of season showpiece gives it a nice feeling

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
good point dilly about if they win the world cup it would be worth it. many of the english fans wont be able to get there, thats a big blow.

i wonder if a fans revolt will stop it

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Its wrong, plain wrong. They should keep it to the weekend. Most of the reasons i can think off you have already said.

top topics

join