It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: Fifa new rule for 2006

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Uefa have confirmed a rule change which means all clubs playing in Europe from 2006 will have to include at least four 'homegrown' players in their squads.

The proposals were announced as the Uefa executive committee met the national associations in Nyon and is seen as the best way to develop young talent in Europe.

Uefa define a homegrown player as somebody aged from 15 to 21, and developed either by that club or a team from the same country.

link

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
so it's an age issue as well? Confusing...

Considering the squad you can include for the European cup is huge (23 players I think) it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Teams can just include 4 reserve players, they do anyway. If they want to start getting more homegrown players in a team this isn't really going to help.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
is this just affirmative action or what? i guess it doesn't really make sense to me...shouldn't not having this rule just encourage better soccer and better competition? i WISH we had less homegrown players in the us, mls blows!

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
hehe. at the really big teams, it wont make much differnce. as john said. a squad of like 23 playes and only 4 are to be that age group and home grown. most teams will have that in there squad just about anyways lol.

in scotland, there is a rule in which we have to have 2 under 21's in the team, and for rangers and celtic most of the time, they sit on the bench.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
well then i guess it just doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me, what are they trying to accomplish?

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
arsene wenger hits out at the new rule

Arsene Wenger is fuming with Uefa's decision to change the rules regarding homegrown players.

The European footballing authorities want clubs to field at least eight so-called 'homegrown' players in their 25-man squads by 2008 and Wenger, who has made a success of recruiting promising teenagers from abroad, is far from happy about the proposals.

Wenger stressed it is up to the Premier League to dispute the regulations but it is clear the Frenchman feels it is not the answer to any of football's problems.

link

top topics

join