It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: ref red cards himself

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
if only all of the refs in sports were this honest with themselves

Ref sends himself off

A football referee was forced to abandon a game after showing himself the red card.

Andy Wain decided he had to go following a run-in with a goalkeeper in the Sunday League match.

The incident happened during a contest between Peterborough North End and Royal Mail AYL.

North End keeper Richard McGaffin was unhappy with a goal that put the opposition 2-1 up, inisting a player had been fouled.

But instead of giving McGaffin a ticking off, Wain lost his temper.

The ref hurled down his whistle, untucked his shirt and marched up to eyeball the player, before realising the error of his ways.

If a player did that I would send him off - so I had to go
Andy Wain

The 39-year-old official, who had a few personal problems leading up to the Peterborough Sunday League Two clash, admitted he should have stayed at home.

"With hindsight I should never have officiated," he said.

"It was totally unprofessional. If a player did that I would send him off, so I had to go.

"I heard the keeper say 'It's always the bloody same with you, ref - we never get anything'. It was the last straw, but fortunately I came to my senses."

Wain, whose future as a ref is now hanging in the balance, had to abandon the game as he headed for an early bath in the 63rd minute - because there was no-one else to officiate.

Fortunately he did not compound his error by arguing with himself about the sending off.

TRD

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Fortunately he did not compound his error by arguing with himself about the sending off.

I read about this today in a newspaper and i found it very amusing, its not everyday you will see a referee lose his rag..

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
it's not often i can scoop you on a football story...makes my whole day :party-smiley-018:

TRD

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Hehe yeah, well done!

I don't think i have ever heard of a ref sending himself off in a game before lol!

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
at least the guy is honest, huh?

top topics

join