It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: Rodney Marsh SACKED!!!

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Rodney Marsh has apologised for offensive comments made on air about the Asia tsunami disaster. The former Queens Park Rangers and Manchester City striker has had his contract terminated by Sky Sports after making the remarks as a pundit on Monday night's You're on Sky Sports programme. Sky officials met this morning and decided Marsh's comments were "inexcusable".

The 60-year-old, who was known for his outspoken views on football, insisted he did not intend to offend viewers with his comments. Marsh told the Press Association: "I apologise unreservedly for any offence I caused by my thoughtless and inappropriate comment I made last night.

"My intention was to make a light-hearted football joke."

A Sky Sports spokesperson said: "We have today ended Rodney Marsh's contract with Sky Sports.

"The decision was made this morning, following a review of his comments on last night's edition of 'You're on Sky Sports'.

"During the live night-time phone-in Rodney made comments that were offensive and inexcusable.

"An apology was made within the programme and Rodney's comments were edited and removed from later transmissions.

"These remarks should never have been made and Sky would like to offer its apologies to those who were offended."

Marsh's future in sport broadcasting is now unclear, and he added: "I entirely respect Sky Sports' position and would add my apology to everyone concerned at Sky.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank my colleagues and senior executives who have been brilliant to me and always supported me during my time at Sky.

"I am hugely disappointed in myself for letting them down."

Sportinglife

Sir

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Marshy was great on Sky, i can't believe he has been sacked.

Anyone know what he actually said?

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sir
Marshy was great on Sky, i can't believe he has been sacked.

Anyone know what he actually said?

this is the first of me hearing about it,

he was great on Sky, used to watch soccer saturday alot of the time. who is gonna replace him. he had soo much roles for them..

still. they must have got flooded with complaints to get rid of him

Sir

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Yeah it must have been bad for them to sack him, what with the Ron Atkinson episode i guess they are clamping down. I never really liked Atkinson though.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
the is the closet fing i can find to what the joke was

Rodney Marsh, the football pundit, has been sacked by broadcaster Sky Sports after making an "inexcusable" joke about the Asian tsunami disaster.

Marsh, appearing on phone-in programme You're On Sky Sports, is believed to have joked that David Beckham had turned down a move to Newcastle after hearing of the trouble with the "Toon Army in Asia".

Sir

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Is that what it was for? Man thats not that bad, bit harsh in sacking him for that. I got that texed to my phone a few days ago lol!

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sir
Is that what it was for? Man thats not that bad, bit harsh in sacking him for that. I got that texed to my phone a few days ago lol!

yer, it does sound a bit over the top getting rid of him. i think sky must have been pushed to do it. i gues getting caught saying it life left to much a audience to hear it.

Sir

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I guess it was a bit in bad taste and a big corporation like sky can't have stuff like that against them.

TRD

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I thought he was one of the better football pundits on the TV. Bit of a shame they had to sack him.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
i think he did like the sound of his own voice, on the soccer saturday, he was the loudest i would say. him and frank mcglintok? if thats how its spelt where a good watch hehe.

do you think he'll be back in a few months time doing something?

TRD

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
After this and them sacking him? I can't see anyone employing him on TV again. Look at Big Ron he got back on the TV and now there is more racist slurs against him...

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
is big ron at it again with black players?

whats that one about TRD?

TRD

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I posted about it the other day lemmie go check...

TRD

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Here found it...

www.sportztawk.com...

TRD

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
It was all in the papers today, but they was slow on the uptake as it happened Monday night. It said that Frank Mclintock said something awhile ago that was near the mark, but he seems to have got away with it..

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
with out him it will be bad enough, but if frank had gone too. they would have lost two of there biggest names.

have you heard if it was the joke about the toon army that got him sack

TRD

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Yeah it was that joke, i'll type a bit what it had in the paper (the sun)..

"The ex-England star's bad taste pun on the nickname of Geordie fans during a Sky Sports 1 show spaked furious complaints. One viewer, who heard the remark at around 11pm said: It was an absolute disgrace. You could see his co-presenter Alvin Martin cringe with embarressment but Marsh just started to chuckle"

The actual joke was.. Becks won't go to Newcastle after what the 'Toon Army' did in Asia... It seems like they terminated his contract on the spot aswell......

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
i wonder how marsh feels about the company now, his co presenter must have got a bad shock and still trying to keep a straight face. he cant laugh and its hard not to look on and think OMG.

TRD

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Well a friend of mine watched it, thats how i found out about it. He said Alvin Martin went red with embarressment and the other guy sat there in shock. Thing is it was on quite late and i guess not too many people was watching it. Imagine if it was on prime time? Whoah there would have been murders. lol!

top topics

join