It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: Who will be the next Scotland boss?

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
GORDON STRACHAN

Without a doubt the overwhelming choice of the Tartan Army.

Strachan quit Southampton in February to spend more time with his family after a successful spell at St Mary's which saw him take the club into Europe for the first time in 19 years.

Has been enjoying a successful spell as a television pundit but would surely find it a hard offer to turn down if Scotland came calling.

WALTER SMITH

Smith has enjoyed a successful managerial career on both sides of the border but is best remembered for leading Rangers to a record-equalling nine league championships in a row in 1997 before bowing out of Ibrox a season later.

He took over the reigns at Everton and successfully steadied the ship at Goodison Park after they had escaped relegation on the final day of the season but his time on Merseyside ended with a whimper rather than a bang.

Smith was back in the Premiership last season as Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant at Manchester United but his current unemployed status means there would be nothing standing in his way of becoming the next Scotland manager.

GEORGE GRAHAM

One of the greatest managers in English football in recent years, Graham plied his trade at Millwall, Arsenal, Leeds and Spurs before bowing out of the game in March 2001.

He led Arsenal to championship glory in 1989 and 1991 but his reputation was tarnished when he was found guilty of misconduct by a Football Association disciplinary committee which earned him a worldwide ban from football.

He later turned down the opportunity to manage Manchester City before taking over at Leeds 24 hours after the sacking of Howard Wilkinson and eventually returning to London with Tottenham.

Also working in the media and shown no signs of being keen to return to management.

TOMMY BURNS

The rank outsider but Burns could become a possible candidate to replace Vogts if the SFA plump for an internal appointment.

Started out as Kilmarnock manager before walking out on the Rugby Park side 24 hours before being handed the opportunity to take over at Celtic, the team where he made his name as a player.

He was released from his contract at Parkhead three years later but his love affair with the club never died and he still headed up their youth development programme as well as his role as Vogts' No 2.

Sportinglife

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
strachan is the one every1 wants for sure, but its believed he dont really want to take the job, he was supposed to be wanting it but i think he realised how impossible it is to work with some crap players

walter smith seems to be the one who is getting it, although, i dont think he would do good, when he managed rangers he was bankrolled non stop. and he struggled at everton and they where dreadfull under him. i dont think he got it

but who would do a good job, thats the thing,

strachan though is a good motivator, i think he would be ideal

TRD

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by rynaldo82
he was supposed to be wanting it but i think he realised how impossible it is to work with some crap players

Well thats not such a bad statement as he did it at Southampton and Coventry working with crap players for years and made them into pretty good sides up till he left...

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
yer, ino what you mean, he did well at both the teams especially considering there restrictions in the transfer market, wages etc. but he could wheel and deal

there was a bit in the paper a while ago, when we had souness and dalglish, hansen, they where top players but not even them could do much for the national team

TRD

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Yeah thats the prob with Scotland they only seem to produce a couple of real good players at one time....Not a bunch of them all at the same time.

Strachan would be my choice over everyone else for the job....

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
he is a good motivator, i think he gets alot of respect and besides all that, he is good at doing the after match interviews

TRD

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The bookmakers have stopped taking bets and the former colleagues are gushing forth with plaudits; Walter Smith could therefore be just hours away from becoming Scotland's new manager.

Berti Vogts' departure has left the post open and the former Rangers boss is the man many believe should fill it.

The Scottish Football Association's 11-man board are set to meet tomorrow, although given the glacial speed the governing body usually operate under, an imminent appointment is by no means guaranteed.

But Smith already has a huge weight of support behind him, including that of Sir Alex Ferguson.

Ferguson had been involved in the selection process that began three years ago when Craig Brown stepped down and eventually came up with Vogts.

The Manchester United manager had been supportive of the German as his ill-fated reign wound down to an ignominious close, arguing that a lack of talent on the pitch, not guidance off it, was the principal cause of Scotland's low standing.

But Ferguson has since made it clear he views his former assistant Smith - at Old Trafford last season and with Scotland in the World Cup finals of 1986 - as the best available candidate.

Sportinglife

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Have they made a decision as to who it is going to be yet?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Walter Smith looks odds on.

Fergie is the man for the job when O'Neil takes over at Old Trafford.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
yer. walter smith is the strong faviourite to get the job. tommy burns who is doing the match 2nite said he would be the best choice but i am sure burns would take it if it came his way.

i dont think walter will be any better than berti to be honest.

with burns though for 2nite. when he managed celtic he had them trying to play good footbal. it was him who signed cadete, andy thom, van hoijdonk and di canio

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
i heard on the radio today that they are not rulling out foriegn managers. lets hope we dont get another berti lol

new topics

top topics

join