It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: Calls for Vogts' sacking

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Former Scotland international Gordon McQueen has called for Berti Vogts to be sacked as the national team manager the day after their 1-0 defeat in a World Cup qualifier to Norway. The loss has left Scotland with just one point from two games, with their chances of qualifying for the 2006 World Cup in Germany now slim.

Vogts will still be in charge for Wednesday night's must-win game in Moldova, but McQueen believes the German should go regardless of that score.

"I think if we do or we don't get a result on Wednesday it is time for him to go," McQueen told BBC Scotland. "I don't think there is any doubt at all that it is probably the weakest bunch of players that any Scotland manager has had ever.

"But at the same time I don't believe they are getting the right guidance from the manager. "It is most certainly time for change. I have lost confidence in him, certainly the Scottish media have and have done for some time, and I honestly think the Tartan Army have lost confidence in him.

"I'm worried now that the players possibly have as well. "This is a results business. He is not producing results and there is absolutely no doubt that it is time for change."

"You would be thinking that of all the teams in the group Moldova would be a certain six points but I wouldn't guarantee Scotland to get three points there. "We are now ranked worse than teams like Guatemala and Zambia. Where is it all going to end?"

Vogts had hoped for at least four points from the two opening games but has just one from last month's 0-0 draw with Slovenia. Slovenia's 1-0 win over Italy has left Scotland six points behind the new leaders.

Associated Press

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   

We are now ranked worse than teams like Guatemala and Zambia. Where is it all going to end?"

i never knew we had slipped below them, that is bad. vogts is terrible, hes like the friendly giant, sure, he seems a nice enough guy but he aint doing well..

he got sent to the stand yesterday over complaing about a possibly goal. the ref or linesman didnt give it as they said it didnt cross the line. it is becoming a bit of a joke now

i think one of the things is, it will cost loads to get rid of him so we are kinda stuck with him. and in the papers up here. you get news articles about getting rid of him

there was one when it was a match, the headline was. good news. berti is leaving the country, bad news, the team is going with him.

its kinda sad the state we are in, but we aint got exaclty the best players, its a sorry state

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   
He needs to go and quickly, Dalglish is your man.

The Scottish FA need to look at football at grass roots because there isn't enough talent coming through the ranks.

For the league I'd limit the amount of foreign players allowed to play in games, meaning clubs would have to look at homegrown players and the national team would improve (this also needs to happen in England).

Years back every team in England had a Scot, there were some great players year after year coming through. It's a shame.

TRD

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Scotland has some not bad players, but yes a new manager is needed. As Teflon said Dalglish would be a excellent choice.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 06:10 AM
link   
It said in the papers today that if he doesn't win tonight he will get the sack!

new topics

top topics

join