It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: England U21's

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Darren Bent clambered off the bench to get England under-21s back to winning ways in a thrilling friendly against Serbia and Montenegro in Hull.

The Ipswich striker replaced Jermaine Pennant in the 82nd minute for only his second international appearance - and five minutes later knocked home Carlton Cole's flick-on to seal the win.

England thought they would have to settle for a draw after Srdan Stanic's equaliser for the visitors just two minutes earlier.

But until the late fireworks it seemed that Jermain Defoe's seventh international goal would be the one to ensure David Platt's side went into next week's crucial European Championship qualifier in good heart.

The West Ham youngster produced a clinical 68th-minute finish after being superbly sent clear by Pennant.

Teams:

England U21: Evans (Bywater 51), Clarke, Konchesky, Jagielka, Parnaby (Johnson 58), Prutton, Pennant (Bent 82), Sidwell, Ameobi (Carlton Cole 49), Defoe, Zamora (Ambrose 58).

Subs Not Used: Heath, Tonge, Crouch, Chopra, Lee.

Goals: Ameobi 15, Defoe 68, Bent 87.

Serbia & Montenegro U21: Bogunovic, Markovic (Krasic 46), Mijailovic (Batez 73), Lovre (Petrovic 46), Jokic, Matic (Nikezic 46), Milovanovic (Pekaric 46), Novakovic (Perovic 70), Basa, Lazovic (Stanic 39), Delibasic (Maric 46).

Subs Not Used: Dokic.

Nice to see 3 west ham players their Bywater,Johnson and Jermaine Defoe...

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 09:02 AM
link   
All three played very well. I get more and more impressed with Johnson every time I see him play.

TRD

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Yes Teflon the more games he play's he just gets better and better...A cert for a future england international possibly Jermaine aswell...Also Bent and Pennant have improved also...

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Pennant was awesome, he is really living up to his potential. I think his talking down in the papers did alot for him.

TRD

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeflonDon
Pennant was awesome, he is really living up to his potential. I think his talking down in the papers did alot for him.

Yep...

I saw him in the last couple of games for Arsenal and he was excellent he really seems to have matured and is playing some great football..

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Could be a ready made replacement for Pires if he leaves Arsenal.

TRD

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeflonDon
Could be a ready made replacement for Pires if he leaves Arsenal.

Hmmm never thought about that,good thinking as you say he would be ideal and they should get a good fee for pires...

It was nice to see Bywater back in their as he has had a bad year through injury..Lets hope he can improved and keep his fitness...

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Not a fan, he is a good keeper but I'm biased. One of my best friends played in goal for West Ham youths and even the reserve team but was released on a free because they signed Bywater! Good for West Ham to have an England U21 keeper though.

TRD

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I see zamora was in their again aswell..Spurs are showing a interest in him and everone else for that matter...lol

But will he ever get his chance to play in the top division?? I would like to see it to see if he is any good and capable if doing it..

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Seems like he has been around for years, but he is only a boy still. I think he will develop and become a good player, certainly capable for being in the top division.

TRD

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 08:15 AM
link   
When you look at the u21 side that played and the ones that wasnt their,their is some great talent comming through and it looks quite promising..

Another one is Darren Bent i cant see him staying at ipswich with newcastle showing some interest...!

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Depends how many can make that step up from U21 to full international. Playing in the Premiership and the Champions League definately helps.

new topics

top topics

join