posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 12:16 PM
- Jason Schmidt said he had a stiff arm after a 127-pitch outing on Thursday, but indicated that he will be able to start on Sunday, his second start
this week, according to the Contra Costa Times. However, Giants pitching coach Dave Rigetti said the rotation could be tweaked if Schmidt needs
another day of rest. "If Schmidt needs another day, we might change it," Righetti said. "We might wait until Friday for him to throw on the side."
- Jeff Kent (2B) Hou is hoping to return in tonight's game against Texas as he continues to deal with an ailing wrist, according to the Houston
Chronicle. "Yeah, I'm making progress," Kent said. "I'm shooting to return every day. I couldn't return (Wednesday) and we don't play (Thursday) so
we'll shoot for Friday."
- Alfonso Soriano (2B) NYA got a well-deserved day off Thursday after starting every game of the season at second.
- Mark Prior (P) ChN struck out a career-high 16 over eight innings against the free-swinging Brewers on Thursday. He was lifted after throwing 126
pitches, and watched from the dugout as Joe Borowski blew his 3-2 lead by giving up a three-run homer.
- Although his bruised wrist was still slightly swollen yesterday, Jason Giambi (1B) NYA played and said it didn't bother him, according to the New
York Daily News. He suffered the injury when a pitch hit him on Tuesday.
- The New York Daily News reports that Mike Piazza (C) NYN could start swinging a bat as soon as this weekend. Still, he's not expected to return from
his groin injury until late July or early August.