posted on May, 31 2003 @ 01:48 AM
- Curt Schilling left his start on Friday with a bruised pitching hand after he was hit by a comebacker in the seventh inning. Although the bullpen
ruined his shutout, they did preserve his win. X-rays were negative, but a team spokesperson said that he suffered a bone bruise. It is not yet known
if he'll be forced to miss a start.
- Ivan Rodriguez returned to the Marlins' starting lineup on Friday for the first time since fouling a ball off his foot last weekend.
- The Red Sox gave Nomar Garciaparra (SS) Bos a routine day off on Friday. The club was off on Thursday, so he was able to maximize his rest.
- The Cubs activated Sammy Sosa (OF) ChN from the disabled list on Friday. He missed 17 games after having a nail removed from his right big toe. In
his first game back, he went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts. It shouldn't be held against him, however, as Wade Miller was red-hot, striking out 14 on
- Jason Giambi (1B) NYA will serve as a DH in all three games against Detroit this weekend, but plans on returning to his first base duties when
interleague play starts next week, according to Newsday. Giambi was the DH for New York on Thursday after experiencing a "flareup" in his left knee.
BTW, Giambi hit two HR's tonight.