It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: will Goodyear determine the chase?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
anyone who watched the Busch race last night or the Nextel cup race tonight knows that they have major tire issues at Charlotte. During last off season the track was ground down and smoothed out, there has also been work done since the spring race, speeds are up almost 5mph over last year, Goodyear says that they are suprised the speeds are so much faster and that is the problem...the cars are starting to blow tires with less than 30 laps of racing on them...
There is no reason for this, many teams tested there about a month ago, during this test one of the best drivers Tony Stewart wrecked twice, Goodyear had plenty of time to analyze the situation and bring suitable tires to the track, it is prepostrous to ask a driver to go into a corner at 190 mph on suspect tires,,,

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I really do not think that it is the type of tire that was brought to Charlotte. What could have happened is when Humpy had the track levigated, it left sharp, microscopic edges where the machine went over and ground the surface down. All the blown tires occured going into the turns, with the exception for Juniors' right front. when it blew going down the front stretch.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
i fth egrinding machines had left microscopic ridges it would seem to me that they could have dragged one of those big concrete blocks around the track for a day or so and ground them off...

It's not Goodyear's fault, it's just too fast for what we've got," said Tommy Baldwin, crew chief for Kasey Kahne. "They don't make a tire for this place. [The track] did it [levigation] without telling anybody."

Added Mike Bliss, who was one of those collected in one of the tire-related wrecks, "It's not a Goodyear problem." Tony Stewart was among others who echoed that sentiment.

The diamond-ground levigation of Lowe's 1½-mile surface was supposed to smooth out some of the race track's notorious and legendary bumps and dips. But instead of fixing what had been a problem for years, the process created a whole new problem: unmanageably high speeds that the tires couldn't handle

goodyear knew they had a problem after the spring race and it was reinforced after the test runs a couple of weeks ago, i think that it is goodyears responsibility to provide a safe tire for the track, saying that the speeds suprised them doesn't hold water, without the big bump between turns 3-4 would naturally make the cars faster as well as a smoother surface all around the track..this is not the first track where we have seen tire problems this year, they have been an issue all season, this week they are magnified because it is one of the chase races...

new topics

join