It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: us open wheel racing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
did you realize that the top 3 finishers in last saturdays nascar race at richmond all came up through the midwest midget and sprint car series? 15 or 20 years ago all 3 would be at indy getting ready for the race there, instead they have chosen the nascar career path, more and more the nascar teams are mining the rich open wheel feeder series for their drivers, some of the drivers plucked from the sprint car ranks are...tony stewart, jeff gordon, kahne,and newman, this not only shows that these guys are learning how to drive a race car real well in this series but also the sad state of affairs in us open wheel racing today

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I actually met Kasey Khane when he was driving The World of Outlaws at our local track a couple years ago, i suppose he was 16 or so. I don't remember where he finished but if it wasn't last it was pretty close. The guys that used to drive open wheel on the dirt tracks do very well on the short tracks in nascar, i don't know why but they do.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
kasey was at our local track last year on an off nascar weekend and won the biggest race of the season, he is from this area so he probably saw lots of friends and family
i think the answer lies in the fact that the open wheel dirt track drivers need to really drive the car, they can throw it round t a certain extent but need to know how to use the loud pedal, i think that this training in car control sets them up well for the future

new topics

join