It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: new rules in go into effect this weekend

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
the latest nascar rule changes to make the racing better go into effect this weekend in california, nascar has taken more off the rear spoiler and changed the tires to try and get more side by side racing, we'll see how it goes

sports.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Anyone know anything about the new "impound rule"?

I heard it has something to do with post-qualifying.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
after the qualifying on saturday the cars will be impounded till the start of the race, they will have to start with the same tires, set up, and fuel load that they qualified on, not sure what they will do if a car needs to change engines

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Hmmm, that's an interesting rule. I guess that will make for a sooner first pit stop, to fuel up, get new tires, etc. It sounds like it will prevent crews from tweaking cars between qualifying and race day, I wonder if the teams like this new rule? I assume that if they need to change engines that as always they will drop to the back of the pack, but I'm not sure. I also wonder if this changes anything that drivers do during qualifying, I was thinking they might be a bit more careful with their cars.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
i believe that they will be qualifying on a full tank of gas so if there isn't an early yellow they won't have to stop for fuel, it will also eliminate "qualifying setups" as they will be spending more time on their race set up, "happy hour" when the teams would concentrate on the race setup will be no more, should save the teams some money but the fans who paid to see the cars on the track will be missing out on that late saturday practice session

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
i believe that they will be qualifying on a full tank of gas so if there isn't an early yellow they won't have to stop for fuel

So it sounds like this new rule will affect how drivers qualify, as opposed to just going out and trying to get the best time. I could be wrong, but wouldn't a car qualify faster with less gas because of the weight? So if they are running qualifying with a full tank just so they have fuel to start the actual race, then it's definitely going to affect the strategy of qualifying.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
the new rule will make BIG differences in the qualifying strategy, under the old rules they would only carry enough gas to make the 2 laps and that was it, less weight=faster speeds, also the cars woudl have the spoiler angled down as far as was allowed to make the car slippryer through the air for more speed at the cost of reduced downforce and stability, teh grills were also taped up much more to move as much air around the car as possible wich also made it faster, the cars were "on the edge" and it was the drivers job to hang on to them for the 2 lap qualifying run, now that the cars will have to be in race trim for qualifying it will be a whole different ballgame

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   
here is an article giving some more insight into the impound rule

sports.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
So I assume if for some reason the driver hits the wall or something during qualifying, they cant even repair the body until the first pit stop? That would really suck, I think it was Kasey Kahne that whacked a wall during qualifying last season.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
in that case they may let him go to his backup car and fall to the rear of the pack, not to sure what they would do

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Good article tj.

Here's another one I found that was pretty informative.

www.nascar.com...

NASCAR will implement a post-qualifying impound procedure for the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series at the majority of the 36 championship-point races in 2005, NASCAR officials announced today.

More than half of the events on the 2005 NASCAR Nextel Cup Series schedule will utilize the new procedure that will provide cost-containment benefits to the teams. Following qualifying and the post-qualifying inspection process, the starting field of 43 cars will be impounded by NASCAR officials until race day. During this period, the teams will not be permitted to work on their cars unless for special circumstances and authorized by NASCAR officials.

Some of the benefits of the new procedure will include reducing the amount of labor by crew members on the cars throughout a race weekend; reducing practice tire consumption and, most importantly, eliminating special qualifying parts, components, oils and set-ups.

That's too bad that it came at the expense of "Happy Hour" though, it seemed the fans liked that.

Bill Elliott's #91 car will start 22nd tomorrow.

TRD

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I just read that rule on nascar.com and the cars that are impounded, they are only allowed minor tinkering before the race. Its just for the drivers who finished in the top so many slots. Why have they done that as it seems alot of the drivers are against it?

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
as i read the rule all 43 cars will be impounded after qualifying

TRD

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I didn't see that part, thats even worse..

new topics

top topics

join