It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: robbie gordon stirs points race

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
missed the race today but saw some highlights, robbie gordon and greg biffle came together early on with gordon spinning, gordon was heard on the radio to say that he would get him, a bit later in the race he made a run on biffle and hit him a good shot spinning greg, unfortunatly jeremy mayfield and tony stewart got cought up in the wreck and both finished near the back of the pack. an unfortunate incident and not at all proffesional on gordons' part, he should be sat down for the rest of the year in my opinion

Posted on Sun, Sep. 19, 2004

Robby Gordon makes himself a factor in the Chase
Driver's negative behavior continues off the track
By JIM UTTER
ThatsRacin.com Writer

LOUDON, N.H. – Trouble came early for two of the 10 participants in the inaugural Chase for the Nextel Cup and its name was Robby Gordon.

Gordon, not one of the Chase contenders, was involved in an early incident with Greg Biffle in Sunday's Sylvania 300 at New Hampshire International Speedway, then after saying over his radio, "I will get him," struck back at Biffle on Lap 64 of 300.

Gordon's payback strategy, however, had unintended consequences. After hitting Biffle, he also took out Chase drivers Jeremy Mayfield and Tony Stewart.

NASCAR assessed a two-lap penalty to Gordon for "rough driving," but the damage to Mayfield and Stewart was far more costly.

"I guess (Gordon) and (Biffle) had something going on there. I don't know why they settle this stuff on the race track," Mayfield said.

"I guess they're just too scared to settle it outside the race track. It's just a shame for us, we had to get caught up in their mess."

After work in the garage, Mayfield returned to the track but finished 35th. Stewart spent several laps on pit road for repairs, but ended up in the garage and finished 39th.

Stewart is now eighth in points, 124 behind leaders Dale Earnhardt Jr. and race winner Kurt Busch, who are tied. Mayfield remains 10th in points, but trails the leaders by 142.

Driver Ryan Newman, who led Sunday's race at one point, also took a hit, as he blew the engine in his No. 12 Dodge late in the race and finished 33rd. He is ninth in points, trailing the leaders by 136.

Following the race, a large media contingent gathered outside Gordon's hauler. After parking his No. 31 Chevrolet, Gordon got out of the car, pushed aside XM Satellite Radio reporter Claire B. Lang saying, "Get out of here."

He then walked to a golf cart without saying a word, and before being driven off, directed an obscene gesture toward the crowd of media.

Any wrecks are costly for a driver's championship hopes, but with only nine races remaining in the new format it becomes far harder to make up the loss of points.

"I don't think any of us are going to get Mulligans (second chances in golf). That's probably going to take us out of the championship. That's part of it," Stewart said.

"It wasn't two years ago we left Daytona 43rd and came back and won (the championship). So, it can happen again this year. But to try to make up that amount of points in nine more races is virtually impossible."

Team officials with Mayfield, Stewart and Biffle's teams questioned the severity of Gordon's penalty.

"What are you going to do? If he had that much intention to wreck us, he's going to find us. You can't stay out of the way that much," said Doug Richert, Biffle's crew chief.

"I got a wrecked race car. The penalty never fits for the guy who gets wiped out. Maybe you should go ask Tony Stewart and (Mayfield) and see if they think the penalty fits the crime."

Nextel Cup series director John Darby said Gordon's penalty was in line with other similar incidences that have occurred on the track.

"Typically we start with a two to five lap penalty. If it happens again, then obviously the penalty will be increased and especially if it were to happen again in the race," Darby said.

"Normally early in the race if we judge it avoidable, unnecessary or on the edge of roughness, whatever it may be, we start with that type of penalty."

NASCAR also instructed Gordon's team he would be unable to make up the two penalty laps through the free pass given throughout the race to the first car not on the lead lap when a caution is displayed

new topics

join