It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: Kasey Kahne ... The Best Rookie in a while.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I tell you what,... I am very seriously impressed with Casey Kahne and his driving ability.

Aside from practically wrapping up the rookie of the year award, he has finished Second in FIVE races this year. Not to exclude the fact that he is currently in the top ten just preceeding the last race prior to locking in the All-Star roster. If he makes it thru Richmond saturday and remains in the top ten of points, there is a good chance that he will place very high in the points at the end of the season. I think it would stop the clock if he was in the top three at the end of the year. This is his first year in the Cup series.

He is one hot young gun, and had he not had his almost-win stolen from him on a couple of occasions this year, he would have already had the top ten spot locked in.

Watch for him in the next year or two to be the champ. I expect it.

And you guys really got to watch this Saturday night, the Richmond race. It is going to be crazy. There are about 10 guys battling to secure their top ten position in the points, and it is going to be a brawl.

(and I wonder who Penski is going to use as a designated spinner
, or any other multi-car teams with no chance to get in.)

[Edited on 5/24/2005 by TRD]

TRD

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Not that i know that much about Nascar but by doing the Fantasy League and what you guys have posted i've learned a bit more..

With Kahne he seems to be right up the front in qualifying and when they are racing. I think he would have done better in some of the other races he didn't do so well in if his car hadn't let him down...

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Too true,... keep in mind he is with one of the top teams, with Bill Elliott as a teacher, and Ray Evernham as an owner.

I dont remember which race, but there were two that were real questionable and caused him a second place finish.

You remember all the hoopla over the new rules, and questionable rulings earlier this year.

Either way, tonights race is looking like probubly the most exciting race of the season. Or the most disapointing. But I expect a little 'dirty pool' if you know what I mean.

TRD

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
So how does everyone think he has done so far this season?

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
while i am sure he is dissapointed at not winning a race, kasey has had a spectacular rookie season, one that will look better to him as the years pass, there are several races that he could have easily won, in one recent race (charlotte i believe) he was really running away and stinking up the show till he had either a flat tire or his suspension broke, i see him as championship material in the very near future

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Well from this point I still think he had a bang-up year.

Since the All-Star roster is now set, and his last couple of races not being so good, it looks like to me the team has resigned into a good top 15 points finish.

His year was spectacular for a rookie, and even if he might be strokin' the rest of the year, next year,..

Major Player !!
Major Winner !!

As close as he came as a rookie, I hope he comes out of the gate hungry as ever for the win, as it will mark his place as a competetor.

(I think next year Kahne would be a great pick in the Fantasy Leagues. He is already very consistant and steady, as a rookie, and he will ripen with age.)

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
And now the wins begin!

Hope the spotlight puts a burr under his sadle.

TRD

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Car: Number 9 Dodge

Team: Evernham Motorsports

Sponsor: Dodge

Birthdate: April 10, 1980

Rookie Season: 2004.

Rank 15
Races 11
Wins 1
Poles 2
% Laps 91.3%

Smart, friendly and media savvy Kasey Kahne is the perfect example of the new breed of NASCAR driver. Though a rookie in 2004 he has a ton of talent and drives wiser than his years of experience would suggest. He caught the eye of Ray Evernham before he ever had a Busch Series victory and took over the #9 Dodge in 2004 when Bill Elliot retired. He splashed on the sport immediately with two second place finishes in his first three NEXTEL Cup races, losing those two races by a combined .03 seconds. Kasey has as much potential as any rookie the sport has seen in the last 20 years.

Bio/Profile Nascar.com

It didn't take Kasey Kahne long to prove his skills behind the wheel of a race car. Like most of NASCAR's finest, Kasey comes from a grass roots background. His first competitive laps came on dirt tracks in his home state of Washington. He won four races in his first season running Micro Midgets.

Kahne's progression was anything but gradual. He won 11 of 14 races in 1996 to win the Hannigan Speedway championship and the Northwest Mini-Sprint Car championship. By 1998, Kasey was running full-size sprint cars. He visited Victory Lane a dozen times in his first season.

Steve Lewis, who has employed the likes of Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart, offered Kahne a sprint, midget and Silver Crown deal that would run the full United States Auto Club (USAC) schedule. In his first season, Kahne garnered the USAC Silver Crown Rookie of the Year award, and both the USAC Midget Series Champion and Driver of the Year honors.

In 2002, Kahne signed with Robert Yates to run a limited NASCAR Busch Series Grand National Division schedule. His best finish was a 10th-place effort at Michigan International Speedway. Kahne got his first Busch Series win in the 2003 season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway. For Kahne, who had quick success in every other stop in his career, was surprised it took so long to get a Busch Series win.

"I really didn't think it would take so long. It did take a while, almost two years, but I did learn a lot in all that time and it actually felt that much better when we finally did win a race.

"It was more a relief than anything, I think."

In late 2003, Kahne was pegged to take over the No. 9 Dodge for Evernham Motorsports after its driver, Bill Elliott, announced intentions to run a partial schedule.

"I couldn't think of a better way to grow as a driver than working with a leader as great as Ray Evernham," Kahne said.

[Edited on 24/5/05 by TRD]

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
good job TRD, kasey had big shoes to fill when he took over for bill elliott and he has done well, i bet a lot of people don't even remember who had the #9 ride before kasey took it over

TRD

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
What i would like to know is, do drivers take time to mature? Can we expect to see Kahne dominate in a few seasons, if he is that good? How long does it take to get really good, i mean it must take time to get used to the tracks ect, months, years?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
my guess is that kasey will hit his prime in a couple of years. it takes time for the driver to mature and get " race smarts" also being able to communicate to the crew chief so they can get an ill handling car back to being competitive is an art that is not learned overnight...he will only get better

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
what i didn't know about kasey is that he won a championship at ahnnigan speedway as a kid, hannigan is north of here while his home town is quite a bit south, i would guess that it is a 200 mile round trip, goes to show the dedication of the parents of as well as the kid to make that trip every week so he could drive

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
OK guys n gals,.. this weekend is imo going to show a trend.

Kasey has qualified 4th for the Coca-Cola 600 this weekend, plus he just popped up 4 places in the points to 15th.

The spread to the top ten position is pretty tight, with plenty of time to position for the last 10 races for the cup.

Its gonna be a great race, albiet a bit long, but if he can stay out of trouble, he will be up front in the end.

Wanna bet he gets a third or better?

TRD

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Hows he doing so far this season? Does it look like he is going to win another race yet?

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Second at Indy,..and second to Tony, is not bad,...not bad at all.

Thats what I'm talking about ! :party-smiley-018:

TRD

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Kasey Kahne spent his first two Nextel Cup seasons locked out of the championship chase, failing to meet the lofty expectations placed on one of NASCAR's newest starts. His talent was unquestioned. His patience and maturity? Not so concrete. If Kahne could ever put it all together, his potential would be immeasurable.

A dozen races into his third season, Kahne is as close to the complete package as he's ever been. Kahne won his third race of the season on Sunday night by dethroning Jimmie Johnson in the Coca-Cola 600 at Lowe's Motor Speedway, a race and track Johnson has owned since 2003. The victory pushed Kahne two spots a. in the points standings to sixth, and in solid position to finally make the race for the Nextel Cup title. After two years of disappointment, Kahne is finally a bona fide contender.

SportingNews

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Yup,...

4 wins so far this season,..

3rd in the points,..

and almost a sure thing to be in the run for the cup.

I am happier than a tornada in a trailer park!

TRD

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Hey Smirkley, goog to see you.

Yeah Kahne is definatly showing his potential now. Is it the car he is in or is he showing good racing skills?

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Well you know the car and team MUST be good,..

But he came back from a lap down at MIS and got a lucky dog, and ended up in the front just in time for the rain to put a damper on things.

My opinion?.. It took all 4 to win,.. car, team, luck, and driver.

But then again,.. he has more wins so far this season then any other driver, and also came from just below the top 10, to now hold the spot of third in the points.

They must be doing something right and its gonna be hard to stop that freight train of skill all around.

new topics

top topics

join