It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: Drivers in different racing leagues.... Yes or No

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Should Race drivers be allowed to compete in different series events ?

Just like this past weekend, a few Nextel Cup Series teams had veteran road course drivers in thier cars, why, because they are the best at what they do.

Is this fair ? I don't think so, I think that the car owners should have to put thier regular season driver in the car every race, unless the driver is I'll or unable to compete for a specific reason.

Let's say this is the case, a driver is ill, then should a driver from another series or "league" be allowed to get in the car ? I say no again... they should have to stand by for a driver who was not able to qualify for the race, let them compete in the car.

Yes, I'm saying this partially becuase of the situation of last Sundays' race.... Greg Fellows, veteran road course driver started 43rd and in a matter of laps was in the middle of the pack and shortly there after was at the front.... with under 20 laps to go, there he was right behind the leaders, competing for the win.

I don't think he should have been in the race to start with.

What do you guys think ?

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
i have no problems with the ringers driving in road races, i have watched ron fellows drive for many years and he is a true proffesional road racer, he came in cold and put it to em...who knows where his career would have been if he could have cought a break when he was younger, if not for qualifying being rained out there would have been a couple of other outsiders in the field, it not only puts the drivers in the spotlight it gives some of the smaller teams a chance to win some bucks and get some owners points...let's face it, some of the nascar "regulars" who run at the back of the pack each week couldn't turn right if it was into their own driveway

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I'm not really an auto-sports fan, but from what I've read there, I'm with you. If you don't normally compete in the circuit, it's not fair, to the other drivers or the fans, that you are competing.

This goes along with the idea of Truax filling in for Earnhardt the other week. I don't see how that is fair, either. Jr. still got the points, yet didn't finish the race.

new topics

join