It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: dale earnhardt jr. burned in crash

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Dale Earnhardt Jr. burned after crash

July 18, 2004
SONOMA, Calif. (AP) -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. was treated for minor burns on his face and legs and hospitalized after an accident Sunday during practice for the American Le Mans Series Infineon Grand Prix of Sonoma.

Medical officials at Infineon Raceway described the injuries as ``moderate-sized burns of moderate intensity.'' Earnhardt was flown to the University of California-Davis Medical Center in Sacramento for precautionary reasons.

During a 30-minute practice, Earnhardt's Chevrolet Corvette C5-R spun and hit a barrier in turn eight of the road racing track, catching fire. Earnhardt quickly got out of the car on his own before being assisted by safety crews.

Earnhardt, who regularly competes in the Nextel Cup Series, was to have driven in Sunday's ALMS race with veteran road racing driver Boris Said. The team has withdrawn the car from the race

let's hope the burns are not too serious and that it won't hinder his nascar driving

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Thats too bad for Jr, I'm sure he'll be ok though.

On a brighter note, he couldn't have picked a better week for this to happen as this was a week off from the Nextel Cup and he'll only miss the ALMS race which of course doesn' count.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
that is true...what i can see happening out of this situation though is a ban on the nextel drivers racing on off weeks, i know that kasey kahne is driving in a sprint car race in elma washington this weekend, and i am sure a lot of the others are racing around the country, there is always a risk of injury and while an appearance by a big name driver is a big plus to the local promoters, i can easily see a clause in their contracts banning such appearances in the future

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Good point tj, we already see that in most professional sports contracts. Aaron Boone comes to mind, he voided his contract by hurting himself playing basketball. You cant blame the drivers for trying to make an extra buck on the off-week but I can also see the point of the sponsor who has millions of dollars invested in a driver.

[Edited on 7-18-2004 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Here is a pic from the incident, cant even tell it's a Corvette from this pic.

[Edited on 7-18-2004 by ProudAmerican]

TRD

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
When i see this i feared the worse for a brief moment...

Yep it is a good idea to stop them racing elsewhere. They don't do it in F1 whatever team they are driving for thats it. No driving in other races like cart or F3 or nothing they just stick to the Grand Prix's. As you say what about the owners of the teams they drive for and the sponsors. They have invested alot of money in them to drive in their car, in a tournament like the Nextel or F1.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
When i see this i feared the worse for a brief moment...

I did too, when I read the title on the first page, I was like uh-oh

I'm sure the Bud team was holding their breath when they saw this happen. Good to her it was minor.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
this is the best news i've heard in a long time, too bad he lived though.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by aegis fang
this is the best news i've heard in a long time, too bad he lived though.

Thats damn harsh man. You are cutting up a guy whos dad is dead, and is just tryiung to make a living iun the best way that he can. Seriously harsh.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I saw the crash video, as well as two in-car cam vids.

One from out under the rear of the car, and you could see the fuel spilling and dripping.

The other cam shot, from the front of the car looking in the cockpit.

There were two different outside shots also in the clip from track side.

It was a scary wreck. Basically the car crashed and then came to a stop.
Then there was much fuel leaking from the fuel cell.

Then, and I dont think I exaggerate any, the car blew up !!

Junior, was unstrapping himself while completely engulfed in flame.

And oh yea,... Boooo aegis fang !!

[Edited on 04/10/03 by smirkley]

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I just saw all the videos on SportsCenter, Junior got really lucky! That car was engulfed in flames and he looked a little woozy.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Junior will recover. I've been hearing a lot about him on King of the Hill. Yes I'm not an avid watcher of the SPEED channel, except for F1 coverage.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
dale jr was released from the hospital today...those burns could make for an uncomfortable ride in this coming weeks race....

Earnhardt Jr. released from hospital

July 19, 2004
SACRAMENTO, California (Ticker) - Dale Earnhardt Jr. was released from the hospital Monday morning, a day after the car he was driving crashed and caught fire during a practice session for the American Le Mans Series Infineon Grand Prix of Sonoma.

Earnhardt Jr. sustained second-degree burns to his face and legs and was held overnight at the University of California-Davis Medical Center in Sacramento for observation.

The injuries are not likely to keep him out of this weekend's NASCAR Nextel Cup race in New Hampshire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Racing for fun on an off weekend, Earnhardt was to co-drive in Sunday's American Le Mans Series sports car race with veteran road racing driver Boris Said.

But the accident occurred during a 30-minute practice session when Earnhardt's Chevrolet Corvette C5-R spun and impacted a barrier in the Turn 8 section of the road racing truck track and then caught fire. Earnhardt quickly exited the car on his own and then was assisted by safety crews.

A team official told CBS that the car's fuel filler neck ruptured in the crash and sprayed gasoline on the car's hot exhaust pipes.

Earnhardt's father, the legendary Dale Earnhardt, was killed in a last-lap wreck at the 2001 Daytona 500.

Earnhardt Jr., who is second in the Nextel Cup Series to Jimmie Johnson, sustained a concussion in a crash at California speedway early in the 2002 season.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I just saw the video, that man is awful lucky. Do you expect that they will ban the drivers from non-NASCAR driving as a result of this?

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
I just saw the video, that man is awful lucky. Do you expect that they will ban the drivers from non-NASCAR driving as a result of this?

Lucky indeed.

They'll probably bring something up about non-NASCAR racing but I think the drivers would fight tooth and nail to retain their freedom to make a few extra bucks during off-weeks.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Super lucky.

All of those guys are freaking crazy. I wouldn't do that for a living. Too damn scary man.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
i think that you will see more and more contracts limiting the drivers non nascar activities, there is so much money involved today both with the race purses and the sponsorships that it is foolish for the drivers to risk it all on an off weekend, it's not like they need the money, wether they are repaying an old debt to a track promoter or just having fun it is not worth the risk with what is on the line, the top drivers are always talking about how busy their schedule is with driving, media, sposorship obligations and other appearances, don't you think they would be better served to take a week off and recharge the batteries?

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Yeah, how much do the drivers make? They don't need the cash on the off weekends.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
They probably could use a week off to rest and recharge and I'm sure none of them are having trouble making end$ meet, I just think racing is in these guys blood and that's just what they love to do. Sure doesn't hurt when its accompanied by a fat check though.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Sure doesn't hurt when its accompanied by a fat check though.

It probably hurts like hell went your car gets blown iun half and you are inside though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join