It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: Martinsville resurfacing project set to begin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
MARTINSVILLE, Va. -- After a couple of months of thought, research and planning, Martinsville Speedway's racing surface is set for a total facelift.

Construction crews began demolition of the concrete in the turns Wednesday morning in preparation for a total resurfacing of the .526-mile oval. The project, which includes new concrete in the turns and asphalt on the straights, should be finished by mid-July.

"I think the drivers are going to like what they see when they come back in the fall," said Martinsville Speedway president Clay Campbell. "A lot of time and effort has been put into this to make the racing surface as smooth, as near-perfect as it can be."

CLICK HERE FOR FULL STORY

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This will be a vast improvement to the 30 some odd year old surface. After the last race something had to be done.

This has always been one of my favorite tracks to visit. The racing is close, real close, and too close, many times. Good ol Bumpin' and Grindin'.

This, along with the removal of the tracks on the backstretch, will enable martinsville to expand quickly to 130,000 seating. They have sold out every race in the last 11 years.

As a note, I will miss the tracks. Such a unique sight when the race is on, to have a train drive by alongside the track. Engineers hanging out the window to enjoy a great view while on the job. Remember that movie with Richard Prior (I think) with the train track that went thru the baseball field?

In a year or two, you will not recognise the place!

[Edited on 04/10/03 by smirkley]

join