It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: Rockingham is the lawsuit payoff!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Well there will be NO MORE at the Rock !!

In a sudden move monday, nascar removed the last race date from Rockingham as well as one Darlington date, and gave them to Bruton Smith as a payoff to settle an anti-trust lawsuit.

That leaves only 2 races left in the state that made nascar. Both in Charlotte. Charlotte track is owned by Bruton Smith also.

This sucks.

[Edited on 04/10/03 by smirkley]

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   
from a fans perspective this does suck, but when you think about it in a corporate, money making perspective it makes perfect sense. you go with the tracks that sell out every year, thus that make you the most cash. as much as i hate to see these tracks go i can't really argue with the bottom line that has brought this about. i would agree that there are too many 1.5 mile cookie cutter tracks, but they make the green, and you have to go where the dollars flow. at some point you have to part with tradition and start making some cash.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Yes you are right in that angle. But still.

Something else to consider too...

I wasd speaking with a buddy at the last race I attended as a fan, and he made an interesting observation.

Many of the fans you see at the tracks the last 2 years, do not wear their colors like they used to.

I see this as a changing of the guard of fanship, and yet another example of the what seems to be the alienation of the fans that were so dedicated, but are now being replaced with the newer fans that have yet to become the die-hards of the past.

NASCAR's growth and redirection as of the last few years has caused alot of the former fans to just give up as they have been disalusioned by the current direction.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
nascar is turning it's back on its' history, traditions, and its' long time fans, back when it was strickly a southern sport with no tv it was the guys with the endless suply of cold beer and the rebel flag that paid the money to watch the races, when cale and richard came to town it was a weeklong party in the infield, now with the sanitized racing, luxury suites, and politily correct interviews these fans are being left behind.
every so often over the years there have been threats of a rival racing league starting up, that possibility seems ever closer as nascar turns its' back on the fans that made it what it is today

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   

every so often over the years there have been threats of a rival racing league starting up, that possibility seems ever closer as nascar turns its' back on the fans that made it what it is today

And with all those tracks losing races there are potential that a new legue wouldnt have to look far for a sanctioned track or two.....Rock...N Wilkesboro.

Are you watchin the Talladega race? Jamie McMurray is beating up his car against all the other cars.. lol...does he not know the car has to be somewhat working to win or finish?!

[Edited on 04/10/03 by smirkley]

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
wouldn't miss a race at the bit T...do you realixe that without the rock there will be only one race track left in north carolina, charlotte, with a nextel race....would be real sad to see

top topics

join