It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: NASCAR: Samsung/R Shack 500 - Texas Speedway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Race #7 of 36

Texas Motor Speedway
Texas Motor Speedway is a motorsports haven along the historic Chisholm Trail in Fort Worth. It features seating for 150,061 fans. It represents the pinnacle in luxury for fans of auto racing, as the facility features 194 skybox VIP suites.

Track Facts
Banking/Turns: 24
Distance: 1.5 miles
Shape: Quad-oval

Past race and pole winners

Year - Race Winner - Pole Winner

2004 - ??????????? - Bobby Labonte
2003 - Ryan Newman - Bobby Labonte
2002 - Matt Kenseth - Bill Elliott
2001 - Dale Jarrett - Dale Earnhardt Jr
2000 - Dale Jr - Terry Labonte
1999 - Terry Labonte - Kenny Irwin

Nextel Cup Race Record - Terry Labonte 144.276 03|28|99

Nextel Cup Qualifying Record - Bill Elliott 194.2236 2002

CLICK HERE for Sunday's starting grid.

"So far, 'Young Guns' taking back seat at Texas"

Move over "Young Guns," some of those old NASCAR drivers aren't done yet.

Bobby Labonte and Bill Elliott, seasoned veterans and past champions, will start on the front row Sunday in the Samsung/RadioShack 500 at Texas Motor Speedway.

The younger generation of drivers has dominated the early part of the Nextel Cup schedule, winning all six races. They had also filled just about every front-row starting spot -- until now.

"That's just going to be part of the sport," said Elliott, whose first full season was 1983. "Eventually, it keeps weeding the older generation out."

Elliott, running a limited schedule as he makes a slow transition to retirement, is in only his second Nextel Cup race this season. The 1988 Cup champion qualified for the No. 2 spot at 193.729 mph, just ahead of Kasey Kahne.

Kahne took over full-time in his Elliott's old No. 9 Dodge owned by Ray Evernham. While hoping to also run 10-12 races, Elliott is serving as a mentor to Kahne and helping in the rookie's early success.

Labonte, in his Chevrolet, became the first multiple polewinner in Texas. No driver has won more than one Cup race at the 1.5-mile high-banked track.

All seven former winners will race Sunday. The highest qualifier was seventh by Dale Earnhardt Jr., who got the first of his 11 Cup wins at Texas four years ago.

www.nascar.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This track is like night and day with last week's Bristol race, I think I prefer the short tracks.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
No race fans this week?

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
im here, hard to get very excited over this race, they are all strung out and just putting in the laps

TRD

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Hey i missed the race,how did it go?

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Hey i missed the race,how did it go?

Look at all of the posts.

TRD

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link