It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: NASCAR: Food City 500 - BRISTOL

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Race # 6 of 36

Yes, Bristol is here! It's one of, if not my favorite track and always makes for an interesting race.

Bristol Motor Speedway

Bristol, one of the shortest tracks on the Nextel Cup circuit, has the highest banking, making for an appealing combination for driver and spectator alike. Added to the schedule in 1961 and resurfaced from asphalt to concrete in 1992, Bristol's attendance has increased from 18,000 to well over 160,000 with the reconstruction of the speedway's backstretch.

Track Facts
Banking/Turns: 36
Distance: 0.533 miles
Shape: Oval

Past winners and pole winners

Year - Race Winner - Pole winner

2003 - Kurt Busch - Ryan Newman
2002 - Kurt Busch - Jeff Gordon
2001 - Elliott Sadler - Mark Martin
2000 - Rusty Wallace - Steve Park
1999 - Rusty Wallace - Rusty Wallace
1998 - Jeff Gordon - Rusty Wallace
1997 - Jeff Gordon - Rusty Wallace
1996 - Jeff Gordon - Mark Martin

Nextel Cup Race Record - Charlie Glotzbach 101.074 07|11|71

Nextel Cup Qualifying Record - Ryan Newman 128.7094 2003

160,000 fans!!!

CLICK HERE! for the Food City 500 Entry list!!!

"As far as Bristol goes, like you said, you can take the aero equation right out of it. It's all about mechanical grip, the car turning and getting forward bite. Your driver can dictate a lot of that, too, as far as getting off the gas early and rolling it in the corner. If you overcharge it, it's not going to turn. If it doesn't turn, it's not going to drive off good. " - Jimmy Elledge, Casey Mears' crew chief.

Did you know???
Kurt Busch has won the last two races at Bristol, but he has a ways to go to catch Darrell Waltrip, who won seven straight races at Bristol between 1981 and 1984.

Anyone remember Dale Jarrett here last year?

So, any early predictions??

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
my only prediction will be for a rip roaring good time come this sunday afternoon!!!! always lots of action, short tempers, bumpin, grindin....it's what racin shoud be, wish they raced here every week

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I didn't notice until just now looking at the track map, that all of the seating is named after former NASCAR legends.

Dale Earnhardt, Cale Yarborough, Richard Petty, Alan Kulwicki, etc.

Very classy.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
CLICK HERE for ESPN's list of drivers to watch this week at Bristol.

The driver who won at Bristol went on to capture the championship in 21 of the 41 years since the track opened. ... There were 17 cautions during last year's race and 20 during the Bristol event in August, which matched the track record set two previous times. ... All four of Jeff Gordon's wins in this race came from 1995-98. ... Bristol became the first speedway to sport an all-concrete racing surface in 1992. ... Jack Smith was credited with the race's first win in 1961 despite Johnny Allen driving in relief.

TRD

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
You have to like the look of Busch the 2 years he won it and the other year he got 6th so he should get a top ten finish at least barring accidents.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 06:33 AM
link   
weather forecast is for rain saturday -tuesday at bristol, sure hope we get a break in the clouds and can get a race in this weekend

TRD

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Toejam what's happens if it rains then? They call it off?

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Depends on when the rains come. If they can get half the race in,then whoever is leading at that point will get the win. Also keep in mind that NASCAR will do everything they can to get the race in. Bristol does have lights,so they can race at if need be.(there is also a bristol night later in the season)
If they can't get the race started or if they have to throw the caution out because of rain before the half way point,the race is postponed until Monday morning. Which really pisses me off,because I have to work.
So lets all get our mystical clothes on and do a sun dance for this weekend. You don't want to see me on a Monday,when I can't watch the race. I am not very nice when that happens.

TRD

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Ok yeah *does his dance* Lets hope the race gets underway on sunday.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   
think we will see any helmets thrown this weekend????. who will chuck the first one..lol

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 05:09 AM
link   
How's it looking for the race? Is it going to go ahead?

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   
weather report is for a chance of rain today and a chance of thunderstorms tomorrow

www.nascarick.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   
the weather guy was wrong....the sun is shining at bristol !!!!!!!!!

TRD

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Excellent way to go,looks like we got a race!!!!

How long befor ethe start ToeJam?

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   
just about 4 hours but i am READY
....lol, can you tell that i love the races at bristol?????

TRD

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Yeah seems that way TJ.....

Hey i though it was a early race,4 hrs damm i got to wait that long lol!

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
well it is an early race here, 10am on the west coast

TRD

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Oh ok...usaully its 6pm here when it starts so i thought it was going to be 3pm but i guess not...

So what's the whisper any of the drivers fancy there chances?

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
no way to tell at this track, it is short, narrow, and FAST, the big thing will be to stay in contention and out of trouble, then race for the win

to finish first, first ya gotta finish

TRD

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
It sounds like it is going to be a tough ol race,do you think there will be a few crashes? How many finishers do ya reckon there will be...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join