It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: NASCAR: Daimler-Chrysler 400 - Las Vegas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Race #3 of 36.

Track Facts
Banking/Turns: 12
Distance: 1.5 miles
Shape: Tri-oval

Las Vegas Motor Speedway has the distinction of being the first completely new superspeedway to be built in the southwest region of the United States in more than 20 years. The track features a 1.5-mile superspeedway, a 2.5-mile FIA-approved road course, a 4,000-foot drag strip, paved and dirt short tracks, motocross circuits, stadium truck racing facilities, go-kart and Legends cars layouts as well as a Junior Drag racing strip.

CLICK HERE for the entry list to the UAW-DaimlerChrysler 400.

Fast Fact
The last five winners of the UAW-DaimlerChrysler 400 have started outside of the top 10.

Past winners & poles

Date - Pole Winner - Race Winner

03|02|03 - Bobby Labonte - Matt Kenseth
03|03|02 - Todd Bodine - Sterling Marlin
03|04|01 - Dale Jarrett - Jeff Gordon
03|05|00 - Ricky Rudd - Jeff Burton

Rusty Wallace's crew chief, Larry Carter, says the biggest thing the team learned after testing at Las Vegas Motor Speedway earlier this week as that the new tire compound was extremely weather-sensitive.
www.nascar.com...

Dont forget to get in your fantasy team by Thursday night!!!

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Vegas has become one of my favorite tracks. Wide open all the way. And after no race last week...I am all geared up and ready to go.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff
And after no race last week...I am all geared up and ready to go.

I'm all hyped up too, I am looking forward to watching the Vegas race. That would be a good race to attend, I've always wanted to go to Vegas.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
ROAD TRIP TO VEGAS!!!!!!....sounds good to me...

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
ROAD TRIP TO VEGAS!!!!!!....sounds good to me...

Me too, I might never go home!

Sir

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Who will be favourites to have a good race?

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sir
Who will be favourites to have a good race?

Whatever you do, dont tell anyone I gave you this link.

sports.espn.go.com...

TRD

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Quickly adds to favs aswell,along with the other nascar ones..

Well not long to go now,should be a great race!

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
this will be the first race for nascar's new rules, softer tires and 3/4 of an inch off the rear spoiler, nascar hopes these changes will lead to more passing and the elimination of the fuel milage wins that we saw several times last year, should be interesting to see how the new rules play out this week

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   

A week off hasn't cooled down Kasey Kahne.

The 23-year-old rookie, who missed winning the race Feb. 22 at Rockingham by inches, grabbed his first NASCAR Nextel Cup pole Friday in a record-smashing qualifying session at Las Vegas Motor Speedway that featured NASCAR's "Young Guns."

Kahne, driving a Dodge for Evernham Motorsports in only his third Cup start, turned a lap of 174.904 mph, leading 15 drivers who surpassed the previous track qualifying record of 173.016, set last year by Bobby Labonte.

Sunday's UAW-DaimlerChrysler 400 is expected to be the first real test for NASCAR's new combination of a shortened rear spoiler and softer tires -- both intended to make racing on intermediate tracks such as this 1.5-mile oval more exciting.

The softer tires and decreased downforce certainly made the cars faster on Friday, and it was NASCAR's twentysomethings who took greatest advantage of the new rules.

For the second straight race, there were barely enough entries to fill the 43-car field, with only Busch series driver Larry Gunselman failing to make the lineup.

Among the drivers who did make the field were "field fillers" Morgan Shepherd, who qualified at 164.986, Carl Long at 163.701 and Kirk Shelmerdine at 163.320.

NASCAR was embarrassed at Rockingham when 60-year-old Joe Ruttman had to be blackflagged off the track after one lap when it was discovered he had no pit crew. He entered the race only because he was assured more than $54,000 for making the field.

Series officials said all of the drivers entered at Las Vegas have full pit crews and were qualified to race.

www.nascar.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I will be looking forward to this race it should be a good un,lets hope a few smash up's this time to add to the excitement.!

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Gordon's bad luck continues in Vegas

Jeff Gordon's taxing weekend only worsened Saturday, as he suffered a blown engine in the first of the day's two practice sessions.

Gordon, a former Las Vegas Motor Speedway victor, "killed the wall" during his Bud Pole Qualifying run Friday, damaging the right side of his DuPont Chevrolet so badly that his crew was forced to stay late and arrive early.

But the crew's diligence was paying off. They made changes throughout the session to progressively improve the car. Then, with some 10 minutes remaining in practice, the motor let go.

Once again, the crew rushed to repair the machine. A back-up motor was rolled in, and some 12 to 15 crewmen, engineers and engine experts went to work to properly tune and install it.

Gordon posted the 33rd-fastest time in Happy Hour practice and will move to the rear of the field Sunday after changing engines, but remains confident he can race to the front in the UAW-DaimlerChrysler 400.

"With the tires we have, the track is aged enough to where you can pass," Gordon said. "There's no doubt we can work our way up there. We've got a decent place on pit road so we can make some decent pit stops. So with the whole team effort, yeah, no doubt we can."

www.nascar.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Check out this link!

www.foxsports.com...

Who to Watch

Jamie McMurray: He had a great run at Las Vegas last year and was in the top five until he had a flat tire.

Rusty Wallace: I think this could be the week Wallace breaks that 100-race losing streak.

Jeremy Mayfield: The Dodge teams, especially Evernham Motorsports, tested very well at Las Vegas Mayfield should build on his two top-five finishes at Las Vegas.

Bill Elliott: Don't be surprised if he records his 45th career Cup win.

Ryan Newman: The Dodge camp is in good shape, and Newman led by example with a pole at Rockingham.

Tony Stewart: Although it's hard to argue with the success of Roush Racing at Las Vegas, particularly Mark Martin and Jeff Burton, Stewart could be a sleeper. He's had several good runs at this track.

What to Watch

Speeds will test tires: Over the last few years, a lot of cars tested at Las Vegas, and I've read that 35 Cup teams were out there in January. With 95 percent of the teams located in the Charlotte or Mooresville, N.C. area, that's a pretty extraordinary expense to fly teams to Las Vegas, but it's a pretty significant indication that this race will be the first true litmus test for tire wear with the softer compounds and the spoilers, this is the first true litmus test. While it is smoother than Rockingham, Darrell Waltrip says you don't realize how fast and how much speed the cars are actually carrying into the corners at Las Vegas. The concern will be how much speed they actually carry into the corner.

Conservative setups: Teams maybe err on the cautious side, particularly those who have had a slow start. With this new 26-10 format, you cannot create a big hole for yourself. Do you want to be one of the guys who may be fast on a set of tires at the beginning or do you want to be faster at the end of the run? I'm saying the chassis setups and how that car turns in the corners may be a little more conservative. You can't afford to tear up a race car at Las Vegas this weekend.

Click the link for the rest!

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 02:02 AM
link   
kenseth will win this race. Havawreck will get 2nd. and Rusty wallace will come in 3rd. there's my predictions as of saturday night at 2 am. who do you think will win?

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by aegis fang
who do you think will win?

I'm going with Kenseth, Elliott, and McMurray.

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
i think that kenseth is a good pick today, his smooth driving style should fit in well with the new rules and help him keep the new softer tires under the car, will be rooting for awsome bill from dawsonville as well

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The race is about 15 minutes away, looks like a beautiful day for racing in Sin City baby!!!!!!

[Edited on 7-3-2004 by ProudAmerican]

TRD

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Well lets hope its a good day for TRD Racing..

My picks for the race are..

Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
Jamie McMurray
Jeff Burton
Johnny Sauter

In no particular order..

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Matt Kenseth
Mark Martin
Jamie McMurray
Bill Elliott