NASCAR: 2004 DAYTONA 500

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
better engine, better setup, better line around the track, less headwind down the back straight, any number of things, you have to remember that the time differance between the first 2 cars was only 8/1000 of a second, at 200 mph they are traveling the length of a football field every second, so a very minute differance determines the fastest from a guy starting farther back in the field

Ben

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
how like is each car better, wouldnt there sponser want their particullar car the best out there?

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
for sure, but there will be 43 cars racing and only one winner, the right setup, strategy during the race, being in the right place at the right time, and a LOT OF LUCK, will determine the winner

Ben

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
how much strategy goes into racing?

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a lot, they will have a pre-race plan just like any football team, the strategy will change throughout the race as the race changes, green flag, or yellow flag pit stops, guys moving up or falling back, and they will be talking all day about the BIG ONE, the racing is so close at daytona they don't have many 1 car wrecks, if 1 of the drivers makes a mistake of a few inches it could well trigger a multi car wreck, if or when that happens you want to be in front of it, if you have never watched a 500 mile race from start to finish give it a try, there is a lot that goes into winning or losing

Ben

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
i never knew so much wnet on in that sports, its quite amazing. I have a lot more respect. I thought that they got into their car and drove around in a circle.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Just 3 more days until Daytona!!!

CLICK HERE to check out SportzTawk's fantasy NASCAR challenge if you havent already.

[Edited on 14-2-2004 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
i am ready for the green flag, Daytona is one of my favorite sporting events of the year......

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
WEATHER REPORT...the forecast for daytona on sunday is a high of 61 and SUNNY
should be perfect racing weather, there has been some concerns that warmer temps were wearing the new tires out too quick, did anyone get to watch the 125's on thursday? what was the temp then?

Ben

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
whats the 125?

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
they were the qualifying races held on thursday, the qualifying for daytona is differnt than any other race during the season, last sunday the single car qualifying only locked in the front row, and determined the starting order for thursdays races. the races on thursday determined the starting positions 3-30, the remainder of the field was determined by other means, owners points etc. the extra races gives the drivers and teams more track time to prepare for the 500 and is also another chance to sell tickets

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
any no-namers ahve a chance

IMO....Boris Said,providing he qualifies. I think he will.
He is known for his road course racing,he usually races sears point and watkins glen. I think he did well last year at WG.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
i don't see where boris is entered for the 500, i think he was there for the shootout because he won the pole at the glen last year, i was suprised at how well he did in the shootout considering as you said he is a road racer, hung in the draft well all race

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 01:28 AM
link   
There's alot of hype about rookie Brian Vickers, alot of people think he is one of the next great drivers.

CLICK HERE for the 2004 Daytona 500 Starting Line-up. :cool2:

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Did you know that the races in Daytona originally started on the beach?

Before the superspeedways, corporate villages and big-money television deals, before NASCAR was the nation's largest spectator sport and Dale Jr. was a household name, this was the heart of the NASCAR world.

The beach/road racecourse was a narrow, 4.1-mile oval, determined more by rising tides than design. Two miles headed north on the hard-packed Daytona beaches and two miles headed south along a two-lane strip of Highway A1A.

From 1936 to 1958, 79 organized races -- 46 for automobiles and 33 for motorcycles -- were held on the famed beach/road course. It was those races -- and the outpouring of fan support for them -- that led to the eventual construction of the Daytona International Speedway, some 10 miles to the north.

"It's nothing like it is today. You would have cars on the south end that if they'd miss the turn, they'd go right over the edge. One crash would pile on top of another. Sand is flying around, cars are fishtailing. Engines are backfiring. It was chaos -- but boy was it fun to watch. The fans felt like part of the action. "
- Webber Johnson

Russ Truelove remembered his first race on the beach, in which one of the more experienced drivers offered some advice. He told Truelove that at the beginning of the race, the sand was so blinding, he should cover his windshield in a piece of cardboard for the first straightaway. Just before the first turn, he should rip it off and throw it away.

"But I'm like, 'What if the guy in front of me stops?'" Truelove said. "'I won't even see him.' He goes, 'It won't matter -- with the sand, you're not going to see him anyway.'"

Sounds like it was pretty wild back then.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Ryan Newman had a rough go at last year's Daytona 500,

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   
really enjoyed the pics of the old beach races, it is a reminder of just how far the sport has come in a relativly short time

Ben

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
is the rumor going around that parts of the track are uneven true?

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
i have not seen any of these rumors, do you have a source for them?

Ben

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
on ESPN's sportscenter they said that some players feel as though the track is uneven, i dunno if its a rumor though maybe its the truth.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join