It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: 2004 DAYTONA 500

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The NASCAR season officially kicks off next Sunday in Daytona, where the drivers will start competing for points.

Daytona Track Facts

Banking/Turns: 31
Distance: 2.5 miles
Shape: Tri-oval

Last 5 Daytona 500 winners:

2003 - Michael Waltrip
2002 - Ward Burton
2001 - Michael Waltrip
2000 - Dale Jarrett
1999 - Jeff Gordon

The record for a Daytona 500 is held by Buddy Baker who did it on February 17, 1980.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
As toejam posted, #16 Greg Biffle earned his first ever pole position.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
President Bush will bring his re-election campaign to the Daytona 500.

It will be Bush's second visit to Daytona International Speedway, where he was grand marshal for the Pepsi 400 in July 2000. His father, George H.W. Bush, attended the July race in 1992 during his unsuccessful presidential re-election campaign.

Bush needs more support from voters with a high school education or less, who currently are more inclined to vote against him, according to an AP-Ipsos poll. The NASCAR crowd is increasingly diverse, however, and includes far more upscale, well-educated voters than the auto racing crowds of 20 years ago.

sports.espn.go.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
A worker at Daytona International Speedway was struck and killed by a paraplegic driver going more than 100 mph during a race for compact cars Sunday.

The worker, 44-year-old Roy H. Weaver III, was standing in the middle of the track picking up debris during a caution period when he was hit by a car driven by Ray Paprota of Birmingham, Ala., track spokesman David Talley said.

Paprota, who doesn't have use of his legs and drives a car equipped with hand controls, was trying to catch up the main pack of cars after a two-car crash at the opposite end of the track brought out a yellow flag. Weaver was struck in Turn 2 on the 2½-mile trioval.

Several drivers said Weaver's body already was covered by a tarp as they continued to circle the track under a yellow flag. Eventually, the IPOWERacing 150 was red-flagged for about 1½ hours, finally running to the finish under the lights after police investigated the scene and took pictures of Paprota's car in the garage.

Paprota was loaded into a wheelchair-accessible van and left the track without commenting to reporters.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I can't say anything."

sports.espn.go.com...

This is a really sad story, not a good way to start off Daytona Week.

I really feel bad for the victims family and friends and even for the poor guy who hit him, he's got to live with that guilt. He obviously didn't do it intentionally, but that's a tough thing to have on your conscience.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   
They should run Daytona under the lights instead of the Pepsi 400.

Ben

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
who does everybody think will win?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
i have to go with dale jr, he has won the last 2 daytona 500's, and qualified 3rd this year,he was on the wrong setup in the bud shootout but still came on to finish 2nd, with his team mate michel waltrip to draft with and some breaks he will be hard to beat again

Ben

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
any no-namers ahve a chance

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
for sure, the front row is made up of your basic no-namers, they have the speed, if they can play their cards right and hang in the draft, be in the right place at the right time, anything can happen

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by crayon
They should run Daytona under the lights instead of the Pepsi 400.

That would be sweeet!

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   
remember derrick cope in 1990, now THERE was an underdog who won!!!!

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
remember derrick cope in 1990, now THERE was an underdog who won!!!!

Huge underdog!!!

Did you know that 1990 Daytona 500 race that Cope won was actually the Intimidator's race. Dale Earnhardt had a lead with a half lap to go when he ran over a piece of metal and blew a tire allowing Cope to get the checkered flag. Dale had come close to winning Daytona so many times and again it got away, fortunately Earnhardt finally won it in 1998 after 20 tries in what he called his most precious accomplishment.

www.juneauempire.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

[Edited on 9-2-2004 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   

i have to go with dale jr, he has won the last 2 daytona 500's

Dale Jr has never won a Daytona 500, he did win a Pepsi 400 in Daytona back in 2001.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 06:41 AM
link   
you are correct on that, dale jr has not won the 500 yet, don't know what i was thinking

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   

you are correct on that, dale jr has not won the 500 yet, don't know what i was thinking

You were probably thinking of a different race, it happens.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Well, having been a NASCAR fan for almost 14+ years, I am going to have to go with my favorite driver.... 2 Time Daytona 500 winner: Dale Jarrett.

I have a few choice others that I pull for, but DJ is my main "pull". :cool2:

regards
seekerof

Ben

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   

for sure, the front row is made up of your basic no-namers, they have the speed, if they can play their cards right and hang in the draft, be in the right place at the right time, anything can happen

OK im basically new to the nascar thing. What exactly do you mean by speed?

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
not sure of youre' question, but the front row are the fastest qualifiers in the "one car" qualification runs. so they were the fastest 2 cars on the track last sunday. In the race the speeds will be faster than they qualified at (2 cars running nose to tail are faster than 1 by itself) so being fast last sunday with all the variables, wind, track temp. etc. does not guarantee that those cars will be fastest in the draft, all it means is that those 2 cars were the fastest THEN, thursdays 125 mile races will be a better barometer of how the cars are running, hope this helps a bit on your question

Ben

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Well how is a rider faster than another rider?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join