It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: Barriers Installed at Daytona,Talladega but not Charlotte

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Energy-absorbing barriers will be installed in time for races at Talladega Superspeedway in April and at Daytona International Speedway in July, but installation of the "soft walls" is not imminent at Lowe's Motor Speedway at Charlotte.Installation of the Steel and Foam Energy Reducing (SAFER) barriers in all four turns of the 2.5-mile Daytona track will begin after the track's Bike Week in March and is expected to be completed in time for the July 3 Pepsi 400.

The SAFER barriers were already in place on inside walls at Talladega, but will be added to the outside walls in all four turns in time for that track's first Nextel Cup weekend of 2004, which ends with the Aaron's 99 on April 25.

Lowe's Motor Speedway has another type of barrier, of a design using incapsulated polystyrene, along inside walls at key points on its 1.5-mile trioval. But track president H.A. "Humpy" Wheeler said Friday there is still work to be done on adapting the SAFER barriers for application at high-banked intermediate-length ovals.

Ben

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
how come they arn't installing these at all of the races?

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
i believe that they are very expensive and take a lot of work and time to install. this is not to say that anything that provides better safety for the drivers is not worth whatever it takes

TRD

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
You would think that the money the sport earns,safety would be their no1 goal.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
i just went to the nascar website (have lots of extra time with no football today). They say that they hope to have more tracks with the softwalls installed by 2005. the company that makes them is in nebraska and they have to do studies to see if they would be effective and they apparently have to be engineered for each track

TRD

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
At least they are researching it,safety has to come first in all sports.Yesterday a Supercross rider was killed in a qualifing race it was the first in Supercross, a more compact and technically demanding hybrid of the off-road sport known as motocross. The last recorded death in American motocross was in 1975.This is just an example of why safety has to come first it took 29 yrs for an accident to happen,good statistics in my book.

[Edited on 25/1/04 by TRD]

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
that is a good safety record, i think we have to look back to realize just how far we have come in the area of motor sports safety in a relativly short time, gone are the days of the fiery indy car crashes and formula one cars flying upside down into trees, we have come a long ways, but have a long way to go yet. safety improvements take time and some have to be forced on the sport, lets just hope and pray that the pace of improvements continues to increase

TRD

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Things sure have come along in technology in motorsport as you say but they keep making the cars faster and giving the drivers no chance of survival,they should cut down on engine power to slow down the cars.I think they might be in the process of doing this due to Swede Kenny Brack suffering multiple fractures in a crash at the Texas 500 and American Tony Renna who was killed in testing at Indianapolis last year,they are looking at the aerodynamics of the cars aswell due to Renna's car going airborn.But is this to late,shouldn't they have been doing this before? If they hadn't made the cars go so damm fast the likes of the barriers and engine size/aerodynamics wouldn't have to be looked at.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
but the whole purpose of facing is to go fast, racing has some of the best minds in the world working to make their car just a bit faster than the other guys, there is constant tinkering with the rules to slow the cars down, treaded tires for f1, smaller wings and softer tires for nascar this year. For every rule to slow the cars down there are 10 ideas to make them go faster

TRD

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Yes i agree with you,they continue to make them faster,thats the idea to have
the edge and make your car go faster but getting back to the point they can't keep up with the safety aspect of the technology.You know develope it first,let someone die,then were make it safer and bring in restrictions.As i said before more money needs to be plowed into the safety aspect of motorsport to keep up with the technology of faster cars.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
ok, we agree on several points here, more money DOES have to be spent to advance racing safety. i have no idea of how much is being spent by f1 or nascar in this regard. It seems like most of the safety advances are being brought out by private companies ie. the hans device, roof flaps in nascar, and better helmets. even the soft walls, it might just be time to have the sanctoning bodies throw a bunch of money into safety research

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I am suprised as I have seen many hard hits to the wall at charlott.

Maybe a track like martinsville shouldnt be so concerned, but at charlotte the entry speed into the turn 1 and 3 are almost 190 mph.

The F1 cars are designed with crush zones to absorb the impact energy, but the nascar cars are rigid all the way to the seat.

Then again at 200 mph even water would be hard as concrete.

[Edited on 04/10/03 by smirkley]

top topics

join