It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: Playoff gets green light

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Like it or not, there's going to be a big change in the NASCAR Nextel Cup point system in 2004.

Jim Hunter, NASCAR's vice president of corporate communications, confirmed Thursday during testing at Daytona International Speedway that a playoff system will be utilized during the coming season.

[Edited on 8/1/04 by TRD]

Ben

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
how would this work?

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I heard something about this a couple of months ago. If it is going to be done the way I heard,its going to something like this.
The point system will stay the same up until the last ten races of the season.
The top 10 in points, will then restart at zero.(no points) Then the final 10 races will determine the champion. By points,whoever gets the most points in 10 races.

Of cours this could have been changed a little by now. But I do believe it will be similar to what I described.

I kinda like the idea. If you don't win in the last 10 races,you won't win the cup. Adds a little more excitement.

Sir

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 05:21 AM
link   
It seems alot of people don't like this idea,but if it makes it more competetive wouldn't that be better? It looks like they will have to try to win more instead of just going for a top ten finish.

Ben

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
why not have the 10 top racers...have like a race-off between the 10 of them

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Well,all drivers get points that finish a race. So if you are out of the top 10, they would still want to get points. A lot of it has to do with sponsership. Some sponsers do not have to the bill if the car they sponser is out of the top 10. Or top 20.
So all the cars have to race the whole season. But,I don't know why they can't have a top 10 showdown after the season is over. 1 race decides it all kinda thing.

Ben

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Points systems can get treaky though in the long run so i dunno if its the best idea

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I don't know. I like the idea,but at the sametime I like NASCAR just the way it is.
I think it might be a good idea to give this idea a try. Say for 3 years. Give them sometime to tinker with it a little. If it doesn't work,then go back to the points system.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
would it be for like the whole cup

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
personally i don't like the idea, seems like a "made for tv" system to me, it is too bad that often the championship is pretty much sewn up and there is no end of the year drama but there has to be a better way, maybe just giving more points for a win and make it worth taking a chance instead of riding a race out and just finishing for points....this new system is just too artifical.....

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
In an effort to boost interest in its races late in the season, NASCAR changed its 29-year-old championship format to one that will result in a 10-race showdown for 10 drivers or more.

The new system, dubbed Tuesday as the ``NASCAR Nextel Cup Chase for the Championship,'' is such a radical change that, theoretically, four of its past five champions wouldn't have won under the new procedure. Matt Kenseth, who won last season's title despite winning just one race, would have finished sixth.
www.mercurynews.com...

I like the idea of change,but I am not sure this will work. I am under the impression that owners and drivers are not thrilled about this. I think these rules are going to need some re-working.

Ben

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
they are definatly going to be needed to be adjusted but maybe fans out there will enjoy this more, and maybe it will bring in more fans. I only watched it for the accidents, i laughed and then hoped they will ok.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 06:09 AM
link   
everybody likes to watch "the Winston" race right? it is a special non points race for big bucks...it usually ends up filled with controversy, a lot of hard feelings, and a big crash or two. Now, multiply that by 10 and put the season championship on the line. What you now have is pretty scary to me, with so much at stake it will be pro wrestling at 180 miles an hour, you will get some hard charging racing but also a non contending team mate taking out contenders, for the good of the team.....i like it the way it is, this plan is a made for tv disaster waiting to happen...

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Yes it's going to be interesting how this pan's out.

Although I am not necessarily for this,...it will 'tighten' up the field for the last ten races, eliminating any chance of a runaway title by any driver.

Yes, it's 'made-for-TV', but last year Kenseth won the Points with one win under his belt, and alot of consistancy. Newman, won 8 races, and struggled to keep points position, due to a few inconsistencies. With the top 10 fighting the last ten races, at least it will keep the points race interesting to the end of the season, instead of watching the follower's for all the action.

I doubt that there will be many wrecks caused by this, as the pressure to appease the sponsors and keep points position will be greater than the desire to instantly drop several positions so close to the end of the season due to aggressive driving.

The top ten after race 26 will be the creme of the crop, with maybe one or two rookie's with alot of skill, and they will not likely make any dumb mistakes.

top topics

join