It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: whats the point of nascar??/

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 04:15 PM
link   
whats the point of it?

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The point is to see who can outlast 42 other drivers in a race of endurance and stamina.

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 07:02 PM
link   
how is it a race of staMINA all u have to do is know how to drive a car

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 11:06 PM
link   
in a nutshell the point of nacar is to go real fast in a circle, avoid as many wrecks as possible, and beat everyone else, in a car they model after a car you can buy, only you can't get the 800hp engine, or the really loud exhaust, or the really #ty gas mileage. so basically it's just cars going in a circle real fast but man do i love it.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I know it isnt a good thing but its fun to watch them crash. More exciting and action filled.

TRD

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I don't really watch nascar alot but it is pretty cool,i watch F1 more.

Ben

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 05:03 PM
link   
i just watch it cause of the crashes i mean its bad that they crash but when the show them on sportscenter i get amused by it.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 05:57 PM
link   
NASCAR is stupid in my opinion.

You want to see some real driving. Watch WRC - World Rally Championships!!

Now that requires some actual skill.

Ben

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 06:56 PM
link   
what about those demolition derbys?

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 08:10 PM
link   
hmmmmmmmmmm..... sound stupid and y would i waste my time!!!

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
i just watch it cause of the crashes i mean its bad that they crash but when the show them on sportscenter i get amused by it.

Exactly

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Hmmmm,lots of people putting it down. I'll wager money that not one of you could do it. I bet not one of you could last 20 laps with one other car on the track. Let alone 42. Most of ya would pissing yourselves going 200 mph at Talladega.

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 06:38 PM
link   
i like dirt bike racing and #...i do a couple of comps here adn there i woudl like to do some race car shyt

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff
Hmmmm,lots of people putting it down. I'll wager money that not one of you could do it. I bet not one of you could last 20 laps with one other car on the track. Let alone 42. Most of ya would pissing yourselves going 200 mph at Talladega.

I agree with nyeff, it's much much harder than it looks. And there are all kinds of strategies and techniques that are involved other than just driving in circles.

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Probubly no more point than CASCAR (the canadian copy)

To say that all you need to know to drive NASCAR is know how to drive a car,...

Is like saying all you need to know to play football, is how to carry a football.

You might not get it, or even care, but it is far more in depth and physical than you may imagine.

Lets say you are going down the highway, at seventy miles per hour in your own car.

No better yet, lets say you were going almost three times that speed, with 42 other cars doing the same, within one inch of you, and all around you. The one in back is trying to spin you into the wall, the ones on the side of you are rubbing doors to tires, to keep you from passing. The one in front keeps tapping his break (no break lights) and dodging in front of you to keep you behind. The lap traffic, slow and in the way, and a rookie, unstable and jittery, in front of you, close to taking out the whole field. And you do this for 4 or more hours with no break. The air conditioner is broken, and its 140 degrees in the car. You lose, you may lose your job, mid season. You wreck, your wife may lose her mate.

The difference between Racing and other sports is,...

everything else is just a game.

In NASCAR...

there are no time-outs,
there is no half time,
no penelty box to rest in,
no team mates in the car with you,
no padded goal posts, just cement walls,
no second chances.

And if you do go 'out-of-bounds,...you aint coming back !

Yes, football is a tough mans sport, each clocked minute takes what,...15 minutes to play it out, their play lasts only seconds before the next two minutes of preperation, and if he pulls a groin muscle, he might miss a couple of games...lol

Having driven a couple of real NASCAR cars at real NASCAR tracks, I can tell you for sure, it is NOTHING like driving your regular car, on a regular road, with regular motorists around you. Nothing.

You are planning a half a lap in advance, at up to 200mph, for the whole time of the race, while experiencing the conditions described above. One mistake going into turn three, will put you in danger in or out of turn 4.

You got an itch or gotta spit, like in baseball, well,...you just gotta wait a few more hours before you can. You gotta pee,...the bladder bags. Anything else...deal with it.

IF you were to be involved in a wreck, and hit the wall.....

Yes this is the cool part you like....

NASCAR cars do not absorb energy like F1 or Indy etc. Instead the only thing that has absorbtion properties is the meat matter contained by a five point harness and a hans device (keeps your head from snapping, and your neck breaking.) and this harness isnt designed for comfort, as you smak the wall. Instead as the car suddenly goes from 170mph and then to an instantaneous almost-stopped condition as it hits the wall or another car, the fluid like mass that makes up the body is still going 170mph, untill the restraint system stops the body from moving forward. You probubly will never imagine the feeling the submarine belt gives, in this same scenario.

The human driver body will experience up to 80 G-forces instantly, as the belts system grabs the skin and bone and keeps it firmly in the seat.

What other sports can exert 80 g's on it's participants, and yet have them walk away most of the time?

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I forgot.....the point is a contest,...between teams of man, machine, and endurance.

I remember awhile back,...a Talladega race,...Dale E was in the pack.

Something happenned at almost 200mph,...dale spun, hit the wall, and the car flipped on it's roof. Sliding on his roof at probubly 170mph at this point, cars hitting him, bouncing the car like a tonka truck that was thrown by some kid.

Now he was updide down, had been hit several times, was facing the oncoming traffic, strapped into his seat, and still sliding over 100 mph.

A car, I forget who, could not avoid him.
The car, ran directly into the front of Dales upsidedown car. The front skirt of the offending car reportedly came within a couple of inches of Dales face. Again, some more flipping, smaking, and scraping, and finally came to a rest.

Dale walked away from this.

If it had been on a normal road with a normal car in similar circumstances, I would say there would be at least 20 or so dead people.

But to make a team of very smart guys, build a very technical car, and a motor that hopefully will last the race,...wide open,....and a sturdy driver with keen reflexes, a lightning fast analytical mind, and the ability to push for 4-5 hours, ..and then bring your car in across the line first, against 42 other teams that want that same spot you have....is the point.

[Edited on 04/10/03 by smirkley]

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Dales Talladega wreck...

[Edited on 04/10/03 by smirkley]

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I never edited the above post ??

Where did the pics go

Ben

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
dunno, why dont you post it again?

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Mmmmmmm !!!

Ugh !

No the link will do fine I suppose,...

But I never edited the post, and I did link to the pics.

Ah well.

<<   2 >>

join