It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: NASCAR: Nextel to replace Winston

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 11:46 AM
link   
From the Winston Cup to the Nextel Cup, just doesn't sound right.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- At the end of next season, NASCAR's newest champion will raise the Nextel Cup over his head. Maybe he'll then use a "push-to-talk" phone to make some celebratory calls.

Both scenarios are likely now, ESPN and ESPN.com have learned, that wireless communications giant Nextel has reached a deal to replace R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. as the title sponsor of NASCAR's premier series, the Winston Cup.

RJR, which wanted out of its contract in February, has been limited in marketing its NASCAR sponsorship by the 1998 master settlement of state lawsuits against the tobacco industry. RJR cannot advertise Winston, its top cigarette brand, on radio or television and is expressly forbidden to market to people under 18.

RJR has been with NASCAR for 31 years, signing in 1972 to take over what was then called the Grand National Series. The company teamed with NASCAR to build the Winston Cup Series into the nation's hottest sports property.

espn.go.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 12:59 PM
link   
just one question about this. are the nextel girls gonna be as hot as miss winston? they better be.

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 03:03 PM
link   
That sucks!!!!
Nextel cup racing,I don't care how many times you say it ,it just isn't right.

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 10:47 PM
link   
That doesn't sound right to me, but maybe I'm sure I'll get used to it.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 09:21 PM
link   
What? , the Nextel Cup?

It doesn't sound right but I think it's better than promoting nasty cigarettes.

Like Outlaw said, we'll get used to it.

:cool2:

posted on Jul, 26 2003 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Do you think it will stay Nextel, or is it going to be different every year based on who's offering the most denaro?

top topics

join